Trade magazines for Technicians

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
misusteal
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: St Josephs College
Suburb: Arana Hills
State/Location: QLD

Trade magazines for Technicians

Post by misusteal »

Good Morning,
Most will agree that it is important to stay current with the latest equipment,
methods, and ideas to work smart not harder.

What literature is available?

To be recognised as a profession , to secure funding for professional development etc, we need to be able show evidence of our work and submit our advances or new methods, ideas for peer review.

all information appreciated
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Trade Magazines for Technicians

Post by Robb »

I have a magazine which I get delivered to my school address regarding Laboratory Technology, this ranges from Chemistry (both Instrumental and Non-instrumental), Physics, Chemical Engineering to Biology and Medicinal Chemistry.

This magazine doesn't focus on School Laboratory Officers or Operations as such and does get very technical in most aspects, but for those people whom wish to have a look and see what is involved with updated scientific Techniques, Instrumentation and Discoveries then this magazine you will find interesting.

I have had this magazine delivered for many years now and I have found it very informative to my needs, as I had left the Chemical Industry and landed in the School Laboratory.

This magazine does steer away from the school aspect however and is not connected in anyway, but as I mentioned above, it offers more technical and "Trade" aesthetics rather than school based information..

The magazine is free and it requires only a basic subscription.

If you are interested follow the Web Link below and browse the site, if you like what you see then follow the "FREE subscription" link in the column at the Left of the screen under the heading "the magazine".

http://www.<URL removed, see forum rules>/science/default.asp

I hope this helps..
Last edited by Robb on 13 Jun 2006, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Robb
Did I miss something or did your link not come through
Robb

Trade Magazines for Technicians

Post by Robb »

I have updated the item to include the web address, let me how it goes Ocker..
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Lab on line

Post by Ocker »

Brilliant Robb!
Thanks
By the way what are you doing in dead end job like this?
I'm in semi-retirement, Kids left home and every time I think I should go and get a real job, I think 30 Hrs/week 40 W/Yr Year it's OK
Robb

Post by Robb »

It’s a long story Ocker,

I have been in the Chemical Industry for 3 Years since Uni, working in the Research and Development and Quality Control Laboratory at Bayer Australia. I was working developing Insecticides, Pesticides, Pest Control, Animal Health and Veterinary Science products during that time.

There was a merger with a company in Queensland called Adventis Crop Science and the merger brought their staff down to the Wyong plant where I was squeezed out and having to take a redundancy package. It hit hard as 30 other plant workers including the site manager had to leave!!

Fortunately I had at least the schools to fall back onto, I was only out of work for 3 weeks and I had an interview at the school I am in now.

They did not want me to go, so I had a very good interview that secured my spot and I have been here for the past 4 years.

The teachers here just have a ball and we work well on a collegial basis knowing that if they get stuck they have another person to fall back on to.

The work is not the same obviously but it still offers some challenges when the time arises. The teachers have asked why I don't retrain as a teacher but I know that if I do that I will have lost a lot of hard work at Uni. So I'm happy here with what I do because the students can ask for more detailed help if needed particularly HSC classes.

I often am invited into the classroom to talk about the Chemical Industry and the processes involved, and I have a lot of input into Chemistry and Physics classes.

It’s good though all-in-all, as there are things that you can do that would necessarily not have been thought of in schools. Experiments are one thing and the teachers are just amazed.

I hope to catch up again next time your online.
University of Newcastle.