Brains

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Brains

Post by Labbie »

I am having a lot of trouble purchaseing BRAINS for biology. Is any one else having problems???
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Brains

Post by RosalieM »

I just go to the butcher... No trouble there. They are getting expensive though. I think our last batch were $10 for 6 brains.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Yep me too! the abs don't bother anymore because of the cost of the retrevial (cracking sckulls) no one eats them anymore, gee I don't know why! I have managed to get some through a local butcher only after begging and paying alot more than I think is worth.

We have 2 brain models, and I'm trying to find a virtual dissection, (if anyone know a web site?)
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

A fellow labbie has developed her own company -
Dissection Connection Price List Brochure Jan 2010 V1 1 (3).pdf
here is her email that was sent to all qld labbies:

I'm very pleased to be introducing an exciting new source of dissection specimens for your science classes - Dissection Connection. I hope you don't mind receiving this email.

My name is Debra and I have worked as a school Science Labbie for almost ten years. During that time I've noticed that securing a reliable supply of good quality dissection specimens has become increasingly difficult so I've decided to do something about it. My mission is to provide you with specimens that are complete, in excellent condition and delivered to your door. No more hearts with the tops cut off, no more cancelling eye dissections because you can't get the stock and no more running all over town for your technician to collect inferior quality specimens. I'm very excited to have this business up and running and I'm really looking forward to sending out all sorts of specimens to you very soon!

A complete price list and an order form are attached to this email. I've included some interesting and unusual specimens, as well as some specimens that will last a couple of years with careful handling and storage.

You'll see that I have both bull and pig eyes available in packs of 6. It has taken a bit of time to secure reliable supplies that are up to my standards but it's all in place now so order away! In the near future I hope to source good quality sheep, kangaroo and avian specimens so look out for an updated product list. If you have a special request, like teeth or an extra long piece of small intestine, then don't be shy - just ask.

Go ahead and have a look at Dissection Connection on Facebook. It's a public page, so you don't need to sign up for anything, and it's not blocked by EQ (a miracle!). There's photos of the specimens, product specs, an FAQ that will answer all your questions and links to the order form and the current price list. You can become a Fan and receive regular updates on new products and write a review of your experience with Dissection Connection.

I realise that the first weeks of term are an incredibly busy time, but if you intend to do dissections in Term 1 this year it would be a good idea to pre-order now. Nothing to pay until your order has been received! Pre-ordering will put you at the head of the queue and allow me to organise the most cost effective delivery option for you. Take the hassle out of Term 1 and specify your preferred delivery date.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from you very soon. I hope your Science staff have all had a safe and happy break and are ready to start dissecting the New Year!

Kind regards,
Debra Cook

ps. if you know someone who would be interested in Dissection Connection then please pass this email on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi, have you tried the abattoir? I can get sheep brains from them with a week's notice plus at another abattoir I can get horse or beef parts.

Rosemary
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Wow - Good on that labbie for giving this business a go! I hope it works for her.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I also get mine from the Butcher here at Greystanes frozen but that OK
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Hey Nicky,

Thanks for that. I didn't get the email, so that's great to know. Mind you nothing is coming thru to Cairns at the moment. Rain, floods, highway - same old same old.

I want some bovine eyes, just to slot in around the fridge in the staff room. :thumbup: It's chockers, even the freezer, so it could take some time for them to be discovered. :cheesy:
Cheers, K 8-)