Digital microscopes

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Digital microscopes

Post by bindibadgi »

Does anyone have a Dino-Lite digital microscope or something similar?

I'd love to hear from anyone who uses one & which model you've got.

We're looking into buying one to take on field trips. Something with USB connection so we can plug it into a laptop so the whole set up is simple & portable. We want to be able to use it for biology applications, like looking at macro-invertebrates in various water samples, insects, soil etc, & we want to take stills & video.

Advice/reviews/cautionary tales would be greatly appreciated :clap3:

Cheers,

Kiah
bindibadgi
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Re: Digital microscopes

Post by vlclabbie »

Hi Kiah! I'd love to know this too! What you want is exactly what we're after too..... which is the best value?! :unsure:
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Whatever you do don't let the teacher take the CD containing the software (because it will get "lost") like I did, because we have a Digital Microscope that no-one else barring myself can use and the I installed the software on my work desktop so its no use to any of the classes who want to use the digital microscope.
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by Vick »

We bought the Dino-Lite AM-211 earlier this year. Like alot of things that I buy a teacher will say this looks great lets buy it.

I loaded the software onto a laptop and one of the Bio teachers that often uses the 'old' video flex looked at it. It doesn't magnify to the capacity of the video flex (lets face it, it's far less expensive) but it's not too bad. I looked at some cyrstals under it and thought it was quite impressive. You can also take a picture of the thing that you are looking at.

To this date it hasn't been used by a teacher, but hopefully one day.

Vicki
gwen

Post by gwen »

We bought one yesterday and the HT is having lots of fun with it. He has worked out how to use it with the little DET computers. Its a good toy.

Cheers
Pam
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Speaking of toys, CHeck out your local Toyworld, or similar. They were selling a USB microscope under the "Smithsonian" brand name that was identical to what's available from the science suppliers. If you're going to beup for freight on stuff, sometimes it's cheaper to buy at the local toy store than to order in.
Cheers, K 8-)