and any other non-chem subjects.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Growing carnivorious plants

Post by dolphinscales »

Hey there everyone :roll:
Welcome back to a new year – trust it is a good one for you all. 8-)

Ok my question – or more need  :D

Has anyone out there had any experience with keeping carnivorous plants please?
Our school has a bad record in keeping fish alive it seem the students like to experiment with how the fish react to their chemical dredges and the teachers are hopeless at keeping an eye on them. The HOD insists there is some sort of display that is interesting in each class room – so I was thinking maybe a terrarium with carnivorous plants.
I have done some internet research but now want some hands on experience ideas, hint and tips.

Thanks in advance.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Carnivorus Plants

Post by Ian »

Welcome back. I hope your break was a good and relaxing one!

About 15 years ago I had a small collection of carnivorous plants, (so it was a fair while ago!) I managed to keep them going for a while. From memory, I think the trick was to keep them in very wet soil and very bright sunlight. Other than that, they like to be ignored a lot, ie don't fertilise them or give them good quality potting mix. They like a harsh environment! Venus Fly Traps have a limited number of times that the trap can be triggered. If you trip them too often, that leaf just dies.

I hope this helps. All the best and have fun!
regards
Ian
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Thanks Ian - appreciate all and any tips :)
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hi Dolfinscales,
Yes I have a small collection of carnivorous plants. they are great for leaf variation/adaptation, open day displays etc, as well as just plain interesting! :roll:

I have 3 types, venus fly trap, pitcher plant & sundew.
Yes like to be kept sloshing wet. (water with de-ionised water).
Pitcher plant can tolerate a bit more shade than the other 2, but still like the light.
Nice & hot. I find the sundew the trade off between the easiest and the most interesting.The sundew are so easy... they flower and self pollinate... so when the seeds are dry, just chuck seed over the top of a new pot(peat moss), keep them wet for a few mths, and lots of new plants will pop up.
Venus fly trap can be fussy sometimes. Pitcher plant needs trimmed each August to promote new trap leaves.
Only feed carnivorous plants the occasional fly, or let them catch their own... NO fertiliser.
keep them out of the reach of little fingers... they are just too tempting for the students. I keep mine on prep window ledge and bring them out as required.
(Anyone know where I can buy a Triffid?) 8O
All the best
dolphinscales

cheers for the input

Post by dolphinscales »

Rainbow shy
many thanks for the info - will take it all on board - cheers