chlorophyl chromatography

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Anastasia
State/Location: NSW

chlorophyl chromatography

Post by Anastasia »

Hi All,

Our year 8's are having a problem running a successful chromatogram of extracted chlorophyl. We are using green and brownish leaves off a cherry blossom tree, extracting the chlorophyl in an ethanol water bath and the result is a uniform green streak, no bands of colour. We also tried rubbing the pigment off with a coin onto the chromatography paper. Does anyone out there have a fail proof way of doing this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anastasia
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi Anastasia,
I really love Internet you can find anything you need
I found this one last year and it really works. We didn’t calculate RF factor but it is up to you if you are interested I can send you web address as well

my version for some reason cannot go through but here is web address and you make your adjustments
Swiss chard is silver bat
Mineral oil any paraffin oil
http://www.nasaexplores.com/show_912_st ... 3010795217
Cheers Jazz
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

Thanks Jazz, had a look at the link, looks great, will certainly try it!
Anastasia
Robb

Chlorophyl Chromatography

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

As a trial, what you could do is simply change the mobile Phase of your experiment, try a liquid that is non-polar like HEXANE. This will cause any non-polar components to be driven off.

If it is found to be moving some components then we can switch to a Propanone (Acetone) and water mixture. 25% water 75% Propanone.

This will give both Polar and Non-Polar properties, and hence should separate the components allowing for clear Retention Front calculations.

Its trial and error until you can find out what gives the perfect conditions, but works well. Could be difficult for the class though.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I have no trouble doing same expt. using geraniums and once ground up red flower with leaves and brilliant results with pink seperating from green.