Seminar Help?

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Seminar Help?

Post by vlclabbie »

I'm sick of no workshops / seminars being around here!! :-?

Soooooo, I'm thinking of doing my own... is anyone in the Albury Wodonga region interested in getting a one day seminar organised??? Difficult with the NSW/VIC bits but we could muddle through.... if we're crazy enough! :crazy:
rell
State/Location: VIC

Re: Seminar Help?

Post by rell »

Hi Kel try contacting Janet Butt at what used to be wodonga high. Not sure what they call the school since the change around. She is the regional rep for the Goulburn/North East Region. If anything has been organized for the area she will know. Also there is a Victorian Lab Tech conference on in early Dec held in Melbourne.
If you need anymore info please contact me
Cheers
Narelle
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hey Kel,
Would Wagga be too far for you? I have been tossing around the idea of approaching Charles Sturt University here and asking if they would be interested in providing a labby thing here. Macca, what do you reckon? Anyone else out there interested in having something in Wagga?
Lou.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Count me in :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
jilly

Post by jilly »

Hi
I am interested in a workshop at Wagga. Its about 2 hours from me and a road I regularly travel as I have a daughter at CSU. Sounds like a good idea!
Jill
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Well done girls :clap3: I hope you get it off and running.It takes some work but it is worth it in the end :giggle: :giggle:
If I can help in any way just let me know.
Noona
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Sounds fabulous Louise! Wagga isn't too far & I'm a student at the Wagga CSU anyways... Would be more than happy to help organise! CSU sounds like a great spot for it. Lots of labs at the Sutherland Labs (we call it 'the honeycomb'!!!! So many!!!!!!!). :D
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Ok folks, I'll see what I can do!?! This may be the beginning of something big... 8O
Lou.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

give me a yell if you need some help, :crazy:
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

Count me in to a seminar in Wagga, only one and a half hours away, that would be absolutely wonderful. I would like to go to the big one in Sydney that they have each year but I won't drive in Sydney so can't get there. Wagga would be great.
novicegirl

Post by novicegirl »

Hi all
how far is wagga from wodonga? Ky is about 1hr away from there. Would love to come to the seminar and perhaps get a couple more labbies from here or on the way to come?? Havent joined itav yet but would like more info on the melb conference in dec. Thanks. Lee
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Vicki - If you don't mind catching trains in Sydney, you can get to the St Mary's conference by train. The station is right near the school. Just don't get directions from the emplpyee at the station like I did... I got off the train and (stupidly) assumed the railway worker would know how to get to the school which I had been told was within easy walking distance. Well, she didn't speak English, so I couldn't work out what she was saying, so eventually I went in the general direction of where she was pointing, which was the opposite direction to where I needed to go... I ended up finding a shopping centre and getting directions from someone there (all this with a suitcase as I'd flown from Tamworth that morning) and it took me ages to get to the conference when it should have taken less than 10 min! But it was definately worth the effort. I'm going to a wedding that weekend this year so won't be able to make it. You just need to talk to someone who knows where they are going before you get there. The motel is also within easy walking distance too :)
rell

Post by rell »

Hi all, The Lab Techs association of Victoria (LTAV) hold a conference in Melb every year.
This year its being held on 2nd, 3rd & 4th (1/2 day on the 4th) of December at the
Hemisphere Conference Centre in Moorabbin. If you need any more info please go to the LTAV website
Cheers
Narelle
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Hi Leanna,
My husband reckons Kyabram is about 3 and 1/2 hours away from Wagga. We are about 2 hours from Wodonga.
Lou.
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

when I drive from Wodonga to Wagga it only takes 1 3/4 hours... the new freeway bypasses Albury & Wodonga now! :clap3: Soooooo 1 hour extra to Kyabram... I make it 2 3/4 hours (with no stops!).
novicegirl

Post by novicegirl »

Thanks for the replies. Thats sounds do-able???!!! Will scout around for other labbies. Just give plenty of notice of the date. Cheers! Lee
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Hi htere,
We had a similar problem here in the Newcastle area. There was an In-service set up for State schools but nothing existed for the rest of us..... so we had to start our own!
It took some effort, lots of applications to the catholic schools office, the Prinipals of the Independent schools, but with support from a few Principals and Head teachers we got it up and running.....
It was WORTH the effort - we all appreciate having a great network of people who think alike and do the same work...
Good luck - and don't let minor hurdles stop you :clap3:
Pam
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Even if we just ended up with a network.... it would be fab :thumbup:

I was telling my principal yesterday & he thought it was a great idea... :D