DET schools that were closed due to floods

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

DET schools that were closed due to floods

Post by J »

Our school was closed last friday because of the wild weather, wind, rain and flooded roads.
We were directed by the DET NOT to come to work as it was an OH&S issue and we were NOT permitted on site.
This morning we were informed that we must now apply for leave for that day. Has this issue arisen in any other schools? Some schools have been closed for longer periods of time, and some are in fact still closed. Are we all facing this problem?
Our teaching staff are in touch with the Federation, and SASS staff will be emailing the PSA to find out where we stand. We would appreciate any feedback from other schools facing the same situation.
Thanks
Julie
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Re: DET schools that were closed due to floods

Post by noona »

Hi Julie
I think the Dept stinks :redcard: :redcard: if thet make you use a sick day I hope the PSA helps you let us know [-o<
Noona
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

:redcard: :redcard: Surely they can't do that, is it the dept. or the school it's self? Some powers that be like to make their figures look good. And I'm not talking waistlines :giggle: I wonder if in Vic they'll try and do the same thing with the Schools that have been closed with Swine Flu.
J

Post by J »

We were informed on Thursday afternoon that the DET would not let us come to work, after advice from SES. That's all I know at this stage. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Julie
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Gee Whiz J,

That's ridiculous. :redcard: We had days off after Cyclone Larry and nobody made us take leave - we just got paid, as per normal. I know we're in a different state, but still...

Although I do remember a public outcry when some SES workers got their pay docked while they were out saving others. The Premier got involved, got his mug on the TV and the employers said "Oh we were only joking..." :-| and paid them.

SO wait 24 hours, then go public. You may discover that other employees are in the same boat!
Cheers, K 8-)
J

Post by J »

WE are emailing the PSA big time about our total dissatisfaction with the whole arrangement, so hopefully we'll get a positive outcome.
Thanks guys. I feel better having told you all about it. :clap3: :clap3:

Julie
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Maybe it's just a matter of record keeping and they won't actually dock your leave?
J

Post by J »

Apparently the PSA are on the case and after a great deal of feather ruffling :rules: :rules: :rules: :redcard: :redcard: the situation is being reviewed.
:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

Thanks
Julie
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

Julie that doesnt sound fair at all.
The director general has just posted a letter on our intranet stating that "staff members who are excluded from their school ( WITH SWINE FLU )will not suffer a loss of pay"
This policy should also stand for your dilema
I'll be watching this space for updates
Goodluck
Matchstick
Vick

Post by Vick »

Julie

I think there are provisions in our award to allow us 'special' leave in case of floods, snow etc. you would not have to use sick leave or your pay docked.

Vicki
J

Post by J »

Thank you Vick, it seems that's the way it is heading, but they are still saying we won't know for 3 weeks. :redcard:
Seems to me it shouldn't be that big a decision.
J
Sharls
Job Title: Laboratory Manager
School: Clarence Valley Anglican School
Suburb: Grafton

Post by Sharls »

Our school was closed down both Friday and Monday and nothing has been said about having to apply for leave. You didn't choose to have the day off you were made to, therefore it is not your problem. I would fight this tooth and nail!!!

Sharlene
J

Post by J »

We intend to if it comes to that, but it is looking like it will be ok. :coffee: :coffee:
J
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

I received two phone calls on Thursday night - one from my HT and one from my SAM saying that I was not to come to school Friday. I couldn't have anyway as my local bridge was at least 6ft underwater! In this morning's staff notices though, the Principal has said that those who didn't come due to childminding issues due to school closures were to apply for FACS leave and those who couldn't come due to floodwater were to apply for Special Leave - sounds very unfair to me and so far I haven't done either. Will be very interested in the outcome of this one!
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi All,
We discussed this yesterday at our office meeting and we were told by our Principal that all staff, teaching and office etc would be paid as usual. We were officially closed Thursday and Friday here. Our Principal actually received an email I assume from the DET stating that pay would not be affected.
So you shouldn't have to apply for any leave at all.
Estelle
J

Post by J »

Thank you Estelle

That is probably the case for us, but communication down to the lower eschelons sometimes just doesn't happen here. [-X [-X :cry2:

Julie