Butyl/Neoprene Gloves.

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Butyl/Neoprene Gloves.

Post by judygee »

Dear All - Need some help locating suppliers of Butyl/Neoprene and/or Neoprene Gloves. A number of MSDS's recommend these particular gloves to be used with a number of organic compounds. We have the more commonly used Nitrile gloves. Have tried Q Stores, Livingstones, Southern Biological, Haines and Science Supply Aust. Anyone help? Thank you. cheers, Judy.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Gloves

Post by rae »

I know you checked Q stores, but I had a quick look and they do have a Neoprene/rubber latex blend glove. Is this of any use??

Q Stores 2006 catalogue Page 253 .
If you do find another supplier can you lets us know?

Lorrae
Robb

Neoprene Gloves

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Just remember, you can get a varying quality of Nitrile Glove, Neoprene will be a little more expensive as well.

Cheers,

Robb..........
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
judygee

Butyl/Neoprene Gloves.

Post by judygee »

Dear Rae and Robb - Thanks to you both! The Q Stores book I am using is about 4 years old and the new book!!!!!! (Church Resources Education Catalogue) is fairly hopeless. So Rae, if you have the Catalogue number handy I would appreciate it! Robb, I was just following the Glove recommendations on the MSDS. Are you saying the Nitrile gloves are O.K. Money (or lack of) can be a problem this end, so if we can safely use the Nitrile gloves that would be good! Look forward to your reply. Judy.
Robb

Glove Types

Post by Robb »

Glove Types

Hi Judy,

Nitrile Gloves are not a problem in the Laboratory. These types of Polymer Gloves are resistant to most types of Organics, (except some, but these you won't find in schools), they have excellent tolerances against Conc Acids and are gentle on the skin as there are no latex polymer pigments.

These gloves will perforate once there is a hole indicating a breach in the glove itself, a safe way to ensure the glove is functioning correctly.

The choice of glove that you may need is entirely up to yourself, after-all, you will be the one wearing them, Personally I wear only one type but that is a matter of personal choice.

You do pay for what you get though.

Hope this helps,

Robb......
Last edited by Robb on 02 Dec 2006, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
judygee

Butyl/Neoprene Gloves.

Post by judygee »

Dear Robb - Thank you very much for your informative advice, I will stick with the Nitrile gloves, approximately $15 for a packet of 100 as opposed to approximately $12 for a packet of 12!!!! Yes, I did eventually find the Neoprene/latex gloves in the "Church Resources Education Catalogue!!" Once again, thank you for your help. You've gotta love this web site!!! Cheers Judy.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Gloves

Post by rae »

Hi Judy,
I'm glad you came up with a solution. Now can you help me??
Where to you get the nitrile gloves ??
If they are fairly cheap are thay lined with anything??
I've been using rubber gloves that I buy from the supermarket, they are great for washing up and I use them for everything but perhaps I should be looking at using something with more protection!!

I'm fairly new to the job only been here this year so I'm still learning about all these things so any help is greatfully accepted!!

Lorrae
judygee

Gloves.

Post by judygee »

Dear Rae - You can purchase the Nitrile gloves at Science Supply Australia, Livingstones, and of course Q Stores. They are approx. $15 per packet of 100 (although that varies!!) They come in different sizes, not lined, contain no Latex and have good chemical resisting properties as well as being a reasonable fit and lightly textured for grip. Robb has suggested they are quite edequate for our use and not nearly as expensive as the Neoprene ones we were discussing earlier. Hope this answers your question. Most labbies I know just "fell" into the job, like myself, and learnt on the run, literally!!! When I applied for the job, I was asked if I could Wash up as that was basically what the job was all about, the Principal of course had absolutely no idea what a Lab Assistant did!!!! I also managed a TAFE couse for Lab Techs a few years ago and have been in this position for 25 years (yes THAT long!!!) I am very fortunate, the teachers are very nice and do not interfere with my running of the Prep room (although occassionally you do get a Teacher who will not under any circumstances take advice from the Lab Tech, usually to their detriment!!) However they are few and far between, thankfully! So good luck with the Job I am sure you will learn to love it just like the rest of us. Cheers. Judy.