Capsicum enzyme prac

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Capsicum enzyme prac

Post by bindibadgi »

Hi everyone,

:clap3: thanks to the legendary Sassi's enzyme prac using capsicum I can officially say our labs won't stink of liver ever again! \:D/
They'll stink of other things of course (anyone for agar plates? :yuck: ) but it won't be liver!
I did a run through of the prac today & it works a treat, so I thought I'd say thanks, & also share a couple of things I found out after fiddling around with it.
The set up used 7 x 50mL measuring cylinders, & standard 20vol/6% H2O2, 6mL each of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6% H2O2 going into them.
I added 3mL of the capsicum extract one at a time & got the following mL of foam after 1 minute:
0% = 0mL
1% = 18mL
2% = 20mL
3% = 34mL
4% = 38mL
5% = 40mL
6% = 52mL
I tried a couple of times & these were the best results, because it seemed to work best by using cold H2O2 straight out of the fridge & cold water as well for the dilutions which is odd. The first run through I did used a new bottle of H2O2 that I left out on the bench to come to room temp, but that didn't work as well. I thought enzyme pracs worked best at room temp or body temp, but cold seemed to do the trick for the capsicum. :-|
Also, I found that you get a bunch more capsicum extract if you take the pulp out of the sieve after filtering it & squeeze it through muslin. More bang for your capsicum buck :D

I'm very pleased to be a newbie member of such an awesome portal, & I hope I can return the favour by posting some of our successful recipes etc, as well as really bad jokes, down the track :D

Cheers,
bindibadgi
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Re: Capsicum enzyme prac

Post by bindibadgi »

Uuuumm.......confession time......since my post about the capsicum prac it only just occurred to me that capsicum is not warm blooded & therefore the enzyme function will be just fine at cold temperatures. Massive D'oh!! :crazy:
Serious case of brain cramp today I think!
bindibadgi
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Capsicum enzyme prac

Post by fibreweb »

I spent this afternon playing with the capsicums in the hope to try and get my teachers to use that instead of liver, or junket this year. A whole lot easier to clean up and a lot cheaper then junket powder and more than 10 litres of milk! :yuck:

They test the enzymes in different concentrations, at different temperatures and at different pH levels.

The capsicum came up trumps each time. I noted with interest that there was more froth when the capsicum/H2O2 was in a cold bath compared to room temp, which was more than the one in the hot water bath. :unsure:

I also added 1 ml of HCl 1M, 0.1M and 0.01M and NaOH at the same concentrations to 5 separate test tubes, also having a control and using 2 ml H2O2 in each. The was a good range of reactions with nothing happening both the most concentrated solutions.

Now I will do it again, probably sports afternoon again next week, this time tabulating the results so I have concrete evidence to support my request. \:D/

Thanks to Sassi for putting me onto this.

Wendy