Need ideas for lab refurbishment

for anything else that doesn't fit.
cecmel
State/Location: ACT

Need ideas for lab refurbishment

Post by cecmel »

Help!!! We have been told, at very short notice, that we are eligible to apply for a grant to do up some of our labs - no promise that we'll get the money,or that prep and store areas might be included, but I can dream! Anyway, first meeting is tomorrow (I did say short notice) and I'm after ideas of what has worked and not worked in other schools. I know that a number of you have posted about your recent/impending refurbishments in NSW, and I am planning to reread the posts, but I'm a bit short on time at the moment - familiar story? So any comments, hints & advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance. (This is a such a great site - I frequently read, but have rarely posted.)

Cecilia

PS On a totally different topic - I became a first time Granny two days ago, so happiness level is very high at the moment. Just have to tell the world!!! :D
Robbie
State/Location: NSW

Re: Need ideas for lab refurbishment

Post by Robbie »

We are being refurbished starting in June. Five of our six labs and one prep room will be done. As I understand it, we were not consulted as to what we would like. For example, even with the colour scheme. We will have yellow and orange labs with blue doors and even if we bought the paint we can't have any other colour!! The labs will have no storage space whatsoever, so the whole process is challenging!!! But I'm sure the end result will be great with everything new. One must remain positive.

One suggestion from many schools is to hire or buy a shipping container for storage for furniture and equipment during the building process. If you buy a container there is the option to sell it back to the company when you have finished with it. However, once you have it on the school premises you or other faculties, eg PE or the GA, can always find a reason for keeping it!!

Good luck

Robbie
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Cecilia,

Forgot to say congrats on you new role in life :D :D

All the best to the little one :grin:

Robbie
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Hi Cecilia,
Forget the labs. Congratulations on being a Grandmother for the first time. There is nothing like it in the world. It is like being reborn with all the naivety and wonder that the world holds for that little one and you get to share in it.
As someone with 4 grandchildren (no more to come) I have been soooo lucky to have them in my life at least weekly. And thankfully, they love their nanna as much as their nanna loves them.
Enjoy Cecilia.
Maree
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

hello, congrats for becoming a nanna!!!!! :thumbup:
RUN AWAY AND HIDE ITS A BIG JOB TO PACKUP THEN UNPACK.RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!! :wink2:
This week I have started the unpacking of my labs after they have been refurbished.
I was lucky enough to be involved in all the meetings between commerce, builders and schools since it all began.Hints that I mentioned at these meetings which made a difference were:-
1. Ask for drains with the emergency showers.( I wasn't lucky enouh to win that debate)
2. Corporate express provided most of the furnishing but some of the benches in prep room were provided by builders etc, well they had to be risen for the trolleys to fit under, even though they tried smaller wheels on the trolleys.
3. My refurb was running 4 weeks behind schedule due to blockages in the drains, so if your school is fairly old, and if regular maintaince has not been done on the drains, they may want to check or test the drains before starting to avoid delays.
4. Ask for a shipping container and financial assistance to have a GA come in and help pack up and unpack. Schools sometimes won't have the money to throw around on wages.
5. Have a clear idea on what areas they are working on so you can access areas that aren't touched eg, chem rooms, storage rooms.Agree that you may go on construction site to get in these areas.
6. Now is the time if the principal wants to put in a photocopier or electronic whiteboard etc in your area to think of ventilation for that reason, some schools( I think Kempsey) did this sort of arrangement.
But mainly you need to have an agreement with the head teacher on what prac's (or topics) the teachers will teach while this happening as to know what to pack, what to keep out. My shipping container was full. So you can imagine the amount of equipment we have done without. Also, make really good friends with the lab assistant at the closest school to borrow stuff. Keep any cupboards you can that are in good order as i don't have as much storage as we used to, you can always get rid of it later if a home can't be found for it.
If I think of anything else will post it for you.Goodluck :D
Trish.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Congratulations, Cecilia, on your new precious baby. How wonderful - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!
Please tell us more about this little person :clap3:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes Congratulations to you and your family. Lovely news.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Congratulations Cecilia! My first grandchild was born a little over 2 weeks ago, so I am on the same cloud 9 as you! :yahoo: :wub: Her name is Jasmine and she's just the most beautiful little doll.
And to top it all off I have reached the magic age of 50 today! Not such a great cause for celebration, but what can you do, it's not gonna go away so just have to go with it. :-({|= :-({|=

J
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Happy birthday Julie :party: :party: :party: :drunk: :drunk: Hope you have a great day, and Congratulations on Jasmine. We shall need pictures folks!!!!!!!!!
Regards Labbie

rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

Great ideas from Trish.
A few more thoughts quickly.
Lots of storage space. Drawers, depth suitable for proposed contents, are more user friiendly than cupboards.
I wanted sinks flush with benchtops, so you can clean bench easly, but didn't win that one.
Powerpoints - think about placement design and then add a few more.
Consider having a permanent data projector installed .
Display shelf or glass fronted cupboard for display.
In the prep room, my pride and joy is a double sink one bowl being big and deep (custom made) and of material that glassware bounces in it.
Also have a long and wide prep bench, one side where I can sit to work using an mobile, high stool/chair with a backrest.
Laboratory Tech. should have as much input into design as possible. Teachers can have their say too.
Best of luck
Rosalie (another one) :-)
cecmel
State/Location: ACT

Post by cecmel »

Thanks Robbie, Trish & Rosalie for the lab advice. I've also had a quick look through the NSW lab upgrade comments, so have a good bit of info to get me started. Mind you, we're not off to a good start - the bods that were supposed to turn up for the meeting this morning haven't showed up - yet. They'll probably arrive at home time!!! :mad:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Julie! It's a good age to be AND it keeps improving. And congrats on Jasmine! It's a great feeling, isn't it. Unfortunately I won't get to nurse little Dominic for a while yet, as they live in London. There's a possibility they could come back for a visit in the next few months, but I definitely feel the need to take some long service leave coming on, and then maybe some more. Maybe I'll hide on the other side of the world if/when this refurbishment happens....now there's an idea...
Cecilia
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Thank you Cecilia

I hope you get to cuddle Dominic very soon. I get to see Jasmine every day as she lives just down the road. :wub: :wub:

The trip to London while the packing up is being done sounds perfect! I wish you luck on that one. :giggle: :giggle:

J
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Cecilia, I'll carry your bags, I'm in the mood to travel again. Sounds like a really good plan.
Regards Labbie

HilzWA
State/Location: WA

Post by HilzWA »

Hi everyone Just been through an upgrade, shipping container and move out everything. Yes they want to take all our storage space and workroom and everything. You must upgade sinks and all safety units, eg safety showers and fume hoods,they will spend most money in the class, but you might be lucky to get something. I wish you the best of luck, "Run baby run" is a brilliant idea. I have yet to unpack my sea container. My long service is due!!!!!!! but then I would rather keep it for birth of Grand baby no 1 in July. Congrats on your addition I know it will bring much joy, can't wait for mine
Good luck if you get the grant and please feel free to contact if you want to know anything else.
Hilly
PS Think our school is going to be the model for all the rest of you
Good luck Good luck Good Luck
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Post by Teresa »

Hi Hilary,

Welcome to Chemtalk!
I hope all is well with you and all goes well for grandbaby no 1!

Is there any chance of you posting some photos so that everyone can see your new labs?

Many Thanks
Teresa