SOP's for physics equipment

and any other non-chem subjects.
Gatekeeper
State/Location: NSW

Post by Gatekeeper »

Hi,
We are looking for a format for preparing Standard Operating Procedures for Physics Equipment and other stuff. Can anyone help??
Thanks
Rob
tania

Post by tania »

Hi
I have sourced notes from the Chemical Safety in Schools manual to make up my own SOP on equipment, manufacturer guides and text books et.
I keep two copies, one I place with the equipment and one in a folder which is easily accessible for all staff.
Tania
louie

SOP physics

Post by louie »

What features do you include in this kind of SOP. Some equipment has a handbook eg CRO and some doesn't eg Cathode ray tubes have an unintelligle sheet that was written in China. Like wise my heating mantles came with instructions written in China and make no sense to anyone. Could you give me some headings for an SOP ? Very interested in this , thanks Sue
tania

Post by tania »

Hi
If you can find a copy of Physics Equipment for High schools, (getting it to work ) published @ 1994, It was put together through the Science Teachers Association of NSW, to assist inexperienced Physics teacher. Format includes, Safety Precautions, Setting up, Extra equipment suggested, Procedures, Handy Hints. And written "In Plain English"
Tania
Renee
State/Location: SA

Any luck with that physics manual?

Post by Renee »

I was just wondering if you found a copy of that physics manual - I would LOVE one as well (physics is not my strong point).

Renee
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

interest

Post by dolphinscales »

Yes Renee i also would love to know if Sue was able to get a copy and if so where. Also would like to know what Sue thought of it.
I have to admit Physics is not my strong point and guides and tips never go astray - you can never stop learning :-)
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I have a copy of the book in front of me. It says that it was developed by the NSW Dept of Ed. in association with the Australian Institute of Physics and the Science Teachers Association of NSW. It does not really list a publisher as such or any copyright information. I guess any of these organisations would be able to say if the book is still available, or if it is allowed to be copied. It is about 60 A4 pages.

The chapter headings for the equipment it covers are; CRO, Cloud Chamber, Collisions in 2-D kit, Coulombs Law, Current Balance (that is the big one!), Current Balance Kit (that is the little one with the air core solinoid), Energy Interconversion Kit, Gas Discharge Tubes, Laser, Linear Air Track, Mass of Electron Kit, Microwave Kit, Millikon's Oil Drop experiment, Spectrometer, Spectroscope, Van de Graff Generator, and Video Camera. You will see that it does not cover everything, but it is a good start.

I hope this information is of use to somebody. All the best in tracking it down.
Ian
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I have scanned this book into a computer file. It's saved as images - I haven't got around to editing it yet.
I could try emailing the file to anyone who's interested. It's about 62 MB.

Carol
Nikki
State/Location: WA

Post by Nikki »

Hi Whspa

I would love a copy of this emailed to me at nsutton@exmouthdhs.wa.edu.au.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Nikki
debbec

Post by debbec »

Hi All
I will bring my copy of the Physics Equipment for High Schools to the conference at St Marys next week for anyone to have a look at to see if it is what you want. I will make a few copies to hand out also. Someone kindly gave me my copy at the conference a few years ago so I'll be happy to return the favour.
Debbie
Rita

Post by Rita »

Hi Whspa

I too would love a copy emailed to me at Merrita.Philpott@sje.woll.catholic.edu.au

Many thanks
Rita
louie

SOP physics

Post by louie »

Sorry I never got back to this thread before. I realised that I had most of the SOP's for physics that you were refering to . I got them off the Dept of Education Website about 2 years ago. I think they were under a science curriculum support section. I don't know if they are still there. They were easy to download and print. Thanks Sue
elly
Job Title: scientific assistant
School: St Anthony's Catholic College
Suburb: townsville
State/Location: QLD

Post by elly »

I've bookmarked the following site. You could see if the link is successful

http://www.curriculumsupport.education. ... /index.htm
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I've just had a look - the site still works, which is great because I've tried emailing the file and it is way too big.
I hope those of you who asked me for a copy can access this site, if not I'll see what else I can do - I may have to email it in batches.

Carol
ri

SOP's for Physics Equipment

Post by ri »

Thank you all so much for the references and for sharing them with us.
A wealth of information that will be used very much in our Department.
Cheers,
~Robyn
Renee
State/Location: SA

Thanks everyone

Post by Renee »

Thanks for the help. I've been able to access the site and it quite helpful.
DA

SOP'S FOR PHYSICS EQUIPMENT

Post by DA »

That would be great Deb - I am on the committee of the SASS conference so I may be easier to find - I would love a copy of the booklet and I am sure others would appreciate them - maybe the Committee could organise copying and distribution - I will check - Thanks - See you there Denise