Fuchsin

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Fuchsin

Post by Mother »

Hi all
Does anyone have a recipe for Fusion-oil soluble dye?? Sudan 111 is banned so I have no idea of what to use instead.
Your help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Mother
Whspa

Re: Fuchsin

Post by Whspa »

Hi Mother
This was discussed earlier in the year under Sudan III.
In CSIS this chemical is rated as suitable for Yr 7-12 and not dangerous or hazardous.
Why do some people believe it is banned?

Carol
lada

Post by lada »

I also believed Sudan III was banned, or at least not recommended. I thought it to be carcinogenic.
Anybody else know??
Lada :oops: :oops:
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I was under the impression that this was ok to use... I know It is not classified as a carcinogenic as such, as there is only limited evidence of carcinogenic effect...
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

It is safe to use for 7-12, if I remember correctly, was the lady about to have a baby, and we said she should not use it. This may be where the information went and little hay wire. Sudan III also known as C I Solvent Red 23, mix with ethanol & Acetone. Would label it class 3.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

According to my CSIS Appendix D, Fuchsin is only for Years 11 -12 use, and Sudan III is OK for Years 7-12. Please tell me if I have missed something or some update. I'd hate to think I've been poisoning the little tykes! (Mind you there are some I'd willingly donate to science...)
Lou.