Fume Cupboards

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
helie
State/Location: NSW

Fume Cupboards

Post by helie »

Hi All
My HT has asked me if i know of any policy or working practices in regards to different practicals (ie chemical use) for the varied makes, style and age of fume cupboard. Given that i suggested that the older the fume cupboard the less likely i would use for ANY prac.
If anyone out there has any ideas in regards to this, we would be very appreciative of the ifo.
Great to have this link, thankyou
Helie :D
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Re: Fume Cupboards

Post by Ocker »

My first thought would be ring local libarary and see if they have a copy of australian standards relating to fume cabinets and go from there
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We had two new fumecupboards put in this year. They must be at least 1 metre from any door, in/out door, not cupboard door. Must have gas, & running water,

" taken from Dynaflow care & use"

Your fume cupboard should be installed in accordance with the Australian Standards No 2243.8 Fume Cupbaords Clause 5.1 (AS 2430 Classification of Hazardous Areas AS 3000 Wiring rules) There should be no opposing wall (or other obstruction likely to effect the air flow) with in 2 Metres of the sash. No fume cupboard should be positioned with either side of the sash closer than 300mm from the wall or similar obstruction. No door should be within 1.5 Metres of the sash or within 1 metre of the side of the fume cupboard." End of quote.

Should you require more infor may I suguest you ring Dynaflow on 9858 0190.

email info@dynaflow.com.au

Do hope this helps you.
Last edited by Labbie on 17 Oct 2008, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: email address
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
helie

Post by helie »

Thankyou for your time and thoughts.
I googled, and got what i believe is enough info for the Principal.
Of course i should have done that first off, instead of putting you to the trouble of answering such a question.
Great site
Helie =D>