magnetic slime

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
remlap12
State/Location: NSW

magnetic slime

Post by remlap12 »

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for magnetic slime, please?
I haven't made slime in quite a while and even my basic slime isn't working! :cry2:
I've tried the recipe in the link the teacher sent me , which used corn starch and I have tried my old borax recipe to no avail!
Help!!
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: magnetic slime

Post by mtg »

Same. Used to work years ago and now it doesn't really slime. I think the PVA must have changed.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

mtg wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 12:12 Same. Used to work years ago and now it doesn't really slime. I think the PVA must have changed.
It's annoying! I'm using the same glue I used a few years ago....we had litres and litres of the stuff!
Regards
remlap12
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

One of my teachers loved this slime recipe, said it was the best she had ever made. Not sure if it can be turned into magnetic slime?

Light Bunsen and adjust to blue flame, position under tripod.
Teacher will add several drops of food colouring.
Heat 200mL water till bubbles start to form.
Add 2 heaped teaspoons of PSYLLIUM HUSKS.
Using stirring rod, stir continuously until it forms a sticky/gooey consistency like snot.
Turn off gas, and continue stirring while the beaker is cool enough to move to heat mat.
Allow mixture to cool completely.
Transfer mixture to ziplock bag.

Quite possible I got the recipe from Chemtalk, my number one source for anything work-related!
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

be careful with psyllium husks - don't get them on your clothes!!! We used this slime once years ago and put it in water bombs for something different... never again! the psyllium husks get into the weave of the material and expand and never come out again. Otherwise, yes, good slime! Not sure about magnetic slime though. Don't you need Ferrofluid for that?
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Thanks Prima and RosalieL,
I do have a recipe for the psyllium husk one, haven't made it up though! I'll leave this till next year now.....
Regards
remlap12