Help!! Meat tenderiser alternative

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Help!! Meat tenderiser alternative

Post by Merilyn1 »

RosalieL wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 15:31
Merilyn1 wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 14:01 I looked in Woolworths last week and couldn't buy any. We have an Extension Science student using it, thankfully I had stocked up last time someone needed it so the student should have enough. Something to think about for next time though.
It sounds like it's not needed according to some other recipes above. I wonder if it just produces a greater amount of extracted DNA or has no impact on the outcome at all? I might have to do my own comparison tests next week before I pack everything away as I am curious as to why it is in some recipes and not others.
We certainly don't normally use meat tenderiser in usual class pracs. I think one teacher tried it once, but reverted back to the other recipe without the tenderiser. The Extension Science student came up with the method from her own research.
Yes, Rosalie, it would be interesting to see the results of the two methods.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Oh sorry Merilyn, I didn't read your comment properly! The second class is doing the prac today so I will have a play when all the equipment comes back. I should go and make the extraction buffer solution up now without the meat tenderiser so I can do the comparison!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

RosalieL wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:27 Oh sorry Merilyn, I didn't read your comment properly! The second class is doing the prac today so I will have a play when all the equipment comes back. I should go and make the extraction buffer solution up now without the meat tenderiser so I can do the comparison!
Did you? I didn't notice - so no apologies necessary! :D
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

I have written up a quick summary with photos in a word document. It's pretty rough and I would never submit it for an assessment!! :cheesy: It's too big to attach as a file and I don't have the ability to convert to PDF on this computer. If anyone wants the 'full' version I can try to PM or email it to you. My photos are all too big to attach here too.

Basically, the outcome was that the buffer solution containing meat tenderiser (+T) did produce slightly more DNA than the buffer without tenderiser (-T).
6ml of the +T strawberry extract + 10ml ice cold metho produced 0.21g DNA
6ml of the -T strawberrt extract + 10 ml Ice cold metho produced 0.18g DNA
(measurements taken after excess liquid dripped off, samples were not completely dry).

The +T DNA "gloop" (not a scientific word!) held together better and appeared to have longer strands. The -T seemed more fragmented and I had to fish around to catch them all on the end of the wooden stick. I would say that for the purpose of the experiment in class, the extra time and effort required to track down tenderiser is not worth it. There is enough produced without it :thumbup:
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

PS - I would love to have the time to do multiple experiments. If I had the time, I would compare a meat sample and a fruit sample. I still stand by my suspicion that the tenderiser has just carried over in some recipes from when they used to do cheek cells.
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

That's awesome!
Thanks so much for doing that :D
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

HOW TO EXTRACT DNA FROM peas.docx
This is what we use very successfully.
J
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Hi all,

I got some freeze dried pineapple online & tested it as a meat tenderiser alternative for strawberry DNA extraction.
$16.99 for 12 small packs 10g each.
Crispy fruits.JPG
Ground it up in a mortar & pestle & added it to detergent, salt & water extraction buffer (10 ml dishwashing detergent, 1.5 g NaCl, 1g dried pineapple powder, made up to 100 ml with water)

I used a second buffer solution with no pineapple, just detergent, salt & water to see if there was any difference (on the right).
Both produced nice DNA, but the pineapple produced a thicker goopier layer of DNA (on the left).
Dried pineapple DNA extraction trial.JPG
So, as with most people’s recipes, the pineapple’s not really necessary to get the DNA layer, but it seemed to boost the amount & consistency a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi