Citric Acid and Baking Soda Cold Pack

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi
State/Location: NSW

Citric Acid and Baking Soda Cold Pack

Post by kimmy »

If you are after a cheap and quick experiment to show endothermic chemical reaction than this one is for you.
It is quick and cheap what more can we ask for.
I did this in a beaker with thermometer so the students would be able to see the temperature drop.
It did fizz up heaps so use a 400ml beaker at least.
I used 1 tablespoon of each and just a slurp of water (sorry did not measure). 8-)

The key advantages of using citric acid and baking soda are that the two chemicals are non-toxic, readily available, and inexpensive. The resulting cold pack makes a great endothermic chemical reaction for a science class.

The endothermic chemical reaction is:

H3C6H5O7(aq) + 3 NaHCO3(s) → 3 CO2(g) + 3 H2O(l) + Na3C6H5O7(aq)

Aqueous citric acid plus sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) reacts to form carbon dioxide gas, water, and sodium citrate. Because gas is produced, this reaction will expand a sealed plastic bag, potentially unsealing it and spilling if you fill the bag too full. Some people prefer to mix the chemicals in a cup instead.

Basically, all you do is mix together citric acid and baking soda and seal them in a bag. Then, just add water. The contents of the bag will continue to chill as the reaction proceeds, eventually returning to room temperature when the reaction is complete. It’s safe to wash the contents down the drain.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Citric Acid and Baking Soda Cold Pack

Post by Labbie »

Thats great Kimmy thank you
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Smithy73

Re: Citric Acid and Baking Soda Cold Pack

Post by Smithy73 »

Morning,

We do one for an exothermic reaction with iron filings, calcium chloride and water saving crystals in a zip lock bag and it heats up.

I will have to try your endothermic prac.

Thanks for sharing.