No, as a school assistant I was sent to science
9%

Total votes: 109

sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: Lab assistant by choice.

Post by sunray18 »

Lab Assistant - not really by choice but necessity! :o
Out of work - bills to pay ... but I DO love this job!
I am an Industrial Chemist - worked at Pasminco and CRA Research.
Then worked as research Assistant for Prof of Chemistry at University of Newcastle - the 2nd best job I have had..
Sadly, he died of lung cancer, :-( which left me unemployed,so i spent a year as volunteer in the music department at my children's school. They must have become sick of me hanging around and gave me a paid job in their office.
They started a separate school for students with behavioural problems, and I transferred to that school as THE office person/ general assistant etc etc. This school had 'School on the Road', where, 3 days a week, we took the students out in 7-seater vehicles and did classes in the district - eg science at Port stephens beaches, History at the Newcastle breakwater.... we commenced every day cooking breakfast for them, then teaching them how to cook for themselves.. our main cooking classes were mainly barbecue or campfire cooking, because we were out of the buildings and on the road... THIS was THE best job I have had!!! :D

Things changed in this school - and I needed another job. I had been involved in Youth Ministry for many years, and so working in schools was the obvious choice for me...
~megz~

Post by ~megz~ »

Yep! I'm a Science Teacher by qualification, but...

Today is my fourth day as a lab tech and I am loving it. So much nicer than teaching! :thumbup:

I wanted to return to work part-time after having my son (who is nearly 2) but the thought of teaching and all the 'at home' work just made me put it off, and put it off... Well, a job popped up at the School I went to for 3 days a week as a lab tech, and I thought 'Perfect' and here I am! (After being interviewed by my high-school physics teacher :cheesy: )

It's the most lovely job I could imagine, still in a school, and with a great staff, I am happy. I made my first ever agar plates today and I am so chuffed with myself! It's the little things... :wink2:

Looking forward to sharing tips and tricks with you all,

Megs :grin:
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. ~Wernher Von Braun
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Welcome Megz,
It must be funny as an "ex" teacher, to read on this site all our whingeing about them!! But honestly, they can make your job a misery, or a pleasure.

I hope you enjoy the Chemtalk site. I'm sure I speak for most, when I say you'll wonder how you ever got by without it after a while!!
Cheers,
Lisa
~megz~

Post by ~megz~ »

Thanks for the welcome, Lisa :D

Yep, my ex-fellow teachers have been joking with me that I have 'crossed over to the Dark Side' LOL. However, I always got on really well with the lovely lab techs at my last school, and I am now gaining a true appreciation for their hard work and effort. I've been fortunate to land myself in with a great bunch of teachers, and have only had occasional bouts of 'homesickness' for teaching... but at this rate I will never go back!

It's a different kind of hard work, but very rewarding :thumbup:

I've already picked up so many tips and tricks from this forum, it's fabulous!

Thanks again,
Megs :)
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. ~Wernher Von Braun
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Wait till Payday and You'll feel sick