13%

Total votes: 69

Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

How long do you have for orders?

Post by Labbie »

I am doing a poll, to see how long notice you get for orders, photocopy, text books, and prep's of course
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: How long do you have for orders?

Post by fibreweb »

Most often I get 24 hours, after a lot of hard work getting them used to the idea.
Though there is at least one order every day that they come for a lesson or 2 before hand, usually something easy to put together like glue and scissors or magnesium strips and tapers etc.
Reading of the trials of others I realy do have a good staff.

Wendy
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I ask for 24 hr notice, but now we're using RiskAssess to order pracs and the teachers have realised that they can put in an order from home, I'm not always getting it. Like this morning. When I logged out of the system on Friday afternoon there were no pracs schedulled for today. When I logged on this morning I found three pracs ordered for period one. Sure they're all easy to prepare, but that's not the point, is it? :mad:
dime

Post by dime »

Yeah, that's the problem with electronic ordering. If they had to physically write out a little order form and give it to you, they couldn't do that on the weekend. Again they would be handing it to you just before they need it, like P1 monday.
I made it the rule 18 years ago that orders had to be in by 9am the day before the order was needed. Worked very well, till we got a useless head teacher a few years ago, who couldn't organise a BBQ, and changed it all. But she's not here this year thank goodness, so I'm trying to get the staff back to the 9am thing. It gives you time to be organised, and to do other jobs and to liaise with the teachers when things are unavailable etc. With a constant flow of new and inexperienced teachers, you need that time to talk with them etc.
I still try to accomodate late orders, but only till about the tenth time, and then I say something, cause I know they're having a lend of my (sometimes) good nature.
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

I ask for 24hours notice...never get it. :mad: If I can get an order ready with only a periods notice i will but I will also say no if I have to..especially to repeat offenders. :redcard:
I have 1 or 2 teachers who will come into the prep room during a lesson & ask for a prac there & then !! They often leave dissappointed. :cry2:
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

Our prac requests get pinned up on a board under the day and period that the prac is for. I have had to pin a sign up next to this board that reads "Please
ensure that you book the equipment you require for pracs AT LEAST48 hours in advance. (1 Week is better!) More than 1 weeks notice is required for any butchery items."
I have had to implement this as I am studying for my cert III in lab technology whilst working, and I now have to do 2hours in the front office each day. If not enough notice is given, then depending on how easy it is to set up they may have to wait until another lesson for it to be filled. Of course I do have some teachers who just think that they will help themselves if they leave it to the last minute. It can be very frustrating, :mad: but on the whole the staff are very good and very supportive. Thankfully my completely unorganised teachers have left (you know the ones - always leaving it to the last minute - usually 10 minutes before their class is to start). :-?
Tigger
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by RosalieM »

I try for 2 days, but have said I'll accept one day (I voted for 24 hrs here, as that is the minimum specified time - not that it works!). I am actually finding now that we use RiskAssess the teachers are actually being MORE organised because they are so worried it won't work!! And our timetable has changed from a 1 week cycle to 2 weeks so they are having to be more prepared because not all of them have a double every week (sometimes 2 one week, none the next) so they have to make sure their pracs are done even if it is slightly out of order with their written work. It is making everything much easier for me!! Still get some last minute ones, and some 'on the spot' ones, and some that help themselves... and I STILL haven't had a prac request from my HT yet this year... but he has done plenty of pracs! And I still get some prac requests verbally because "it's just a little one and doesn't need a risk assessment so why do I need to do it on the computer?"... I am slowly changing their mentality!!
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

I have asked for 24 hours notice and one teacher in particular is excellent and always gives at least 48hours. This year for some reason though they've all lost the plot and have taken to just telling me about pracs they want to do then sending a risk assessment the lesson before. But with 10 of them just telling me things as I happen to walk past the system is falling over. I'm getting close to banning all pracs that don't give me enough notice. The ones that help themselves and then just leave stuff where ever it was used last are doing my head in. And its only Monday.
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

On average I get 48 hours notice, but I have one teacher who regularly gives me at least a week's notice which makes up for the "can you do me a favour?" I can cope with the short notice pracs, although I have told them all that I will do my best to get it out for them but if it's not on the shelf ready to go it may not be available. What annoys me most is the teacher who likes to slip requests into the tray when I'm not looking - like I'm not going to notice it wasn't there 5 minutes ago!
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

I am lucky the teachers in general here give me plenty of notice. I do ask for 24hours and sometimes I may get a weeks notice. Or than again I will be met in the stairwell with a Kim can I please have .... for next period. But they all know that when i can not do it no is no and they do not try and push it. I walso have these two posters up in my prep room near my order board. I think it is all give and take in our school.

KIMMY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Kimmy, they are just great. Its just our new head teacher, thinks 24 hours is a little to much. So he said do a poll, he is changing his mind as I write this.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

Kimmy those signs are fantastic. I am going to send them onto a friend of mine who does science and home science at the school she works at. She regularly has problems with teachers giving her last minute requests. Very hard when you work across too practial faculties. :-(
Tigger
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Prac. orders have to be in by lunchtime Thursday for the following week. Middle school - I have a teachers chronicle set up on bench in prep room where the teachers write their pracs in against the period and day required. Some provide photocopies of the practical while others write which textbook and the page number. Also number of sets of equipment required. I go through the book Thursday afternoon and initial,date and time when prac was sighted by myself. Where there are no pracs written in for specific days I write "NO PRACS ORDERED". I do the same thing Friday afternoon. When a teacher puts in a late request I will put a note against it saying that it was a late or a last minute request. I have advised teachers that I do not check my email on a regular basis so do not send me pracs via email. On the senior campus I have a black box directly under my pigeonhole which I check for pracs on Thursday arvo and also Friday arvo. If a teacher is mostly on the junior campus and only has a single senior class then they can order using the teacher chronicle on the junior side. If a teacher orders a prac late on Friday for first thing Monday morning they are stretching the friendship. I usually tell them that it will cost them. Chocolates usually. Surprisingly some do show their gratitude.
First term there is some give and take because of new teachers so it can be very busy but in the long run once they get the hang of the system it works. If I haven't seen anything from the senior teachers I will point out that I haven't received any prac requests from them. If they have been getting their own pracs and can't find something specific then I can say that without a prac request I don't know that they are doing and therefore can't give them assistance. With two campuses to cover it gets a little hectic.
Lyn.
dime

Post by dime »

Good luck labbie, I'm glad he'll see reason. My head teacher (thank goodness currently on mat leave) made it 11.30am the day before, with the principal's OK, and absolutely no input from me. I had only been doing the job for 17 years at that point, apparently didn't know anything. It has currently gone back to 24 hours, thanks heavens; not that the principal knows though, as his word is law, and he would scream if he knew I was doing what I wanted behind his back. \:D/
bindi

Post by bindi »

Im just wondering if guys get a copy of what is being taught each term? teachers here sign a teaching register and make comments and tick off what pracs they do. Some pracs are standard that all classess do, others like to change. If you have worked in the same job for a while, when you a given the terms topics you know what coming up so you can get organised.
There shouldnt be that many suprises! I find more of a shortage of equipment if 4 class try to do the same prac, then its first name on the list!!! :thumbup:
curie

Post by curie »

I'm supposed to get 24 hours, but I put no time, because that's what it's been like lately. :yuck:
curie

Post by curie »

I have had a request sent to my computer by email 10 minutes before the class started and the teacher came in hoity toity looking for her stuff because "she sent me an email" Also a couple hours notice (by email again) for stuff that had already been allocated to other classes. Then went berko because she didn't get my email telling her it was unavailable :redcard:

Also having increasing numbers of time where it's been ordered for next period, or they just walk in and grab stuff then leave it all over the place, or expect me to jump to attention when they enter the room. (I don't)

:banghead: :club:

Could be time to put the foot down again.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by RosalieM »

Here's one from a while ago... Since starting here I have rearranged a few things to make them more practical for me, and also more space efficient. One such 'rearrangement' was shifting all the salt containers into the store room. HT was doing something with salt and hadn't put in a prac request. When he saw me next he told me off for not keeping on top of supplies and how it was a huge waste of school money for him to use lab grade NaCl instead of cheap table salt... I wasn't impressed!! I told him he should have asked... didn't have any effect though...
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

They also have to understand that P5 on Thursday isn't 24 hours notice for P1 Friday ! :redcard:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I just got handed an order for a prac test in week 6 of term 2, I was also requested to book the labs (i hadn't done the lab booking sheets for next erm yet, I have now!)

Is that a new record????? :lol: