24%

Total votes: 162

Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Do you go to faculity meetings?

Post by Labbie »

Please just out of interest, do you go to faculity meetings?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Sassi

Re: Do you go to faculity meetings?

Post by Sassi »

Hi Sue,

I said no never, however I have been to one faculty meeting to demonstrate the use of the camera microscope, but since they have a meeting every week, that cannot count as 'sometimes'... I would like to be able to go, I have actually asked to come next week as the teachers have been winging about practical requests and the need of 24hrs notice, i would like to be there to explain my point of view. But i think it would definetly benefit us from being part of the faculty meetings, to feel like you are a valued member, at the moment I am being treated like the hired help by most of the teachers. And that shits me, big time!

Sass :)
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Post by Judy R »

In 20 yrs of being a Lab Tech I have the policy of not attending either staff meetings or faculty meetings.
If we have new equipment I organise a time and demonstrate to the staff in a lab.
I attend the general staff meeting at the start of Term 1 and that is it.
My experience has been that it is predominately teaching stuff at these meetings and a waste of my time.The HOD lets me know anything i need to know.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Have never been, write down any complaints I have and pass onto HT to deliver, doesn't mean they alway take notice. All meeting are after 3.30 p.m. and sorry I'm out of here, got better things to do.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

We don't have faculty meetings very often, but sometimes I go. The HT usually makes sure the stuff I need to be involved with is at the start of the meeting and then I take off when they get on to the teacher stuff. They usually only have the meetings when there is something specific that needs discussion and I just take the time out of my hours, so if it goes for half an hour past when I usually finish then I start half an hour late or leave half an hour early another day.
Maverick
Job Title: ESO Science/Art
School: Tyndale Christian School
Suburb: Salisbury East
State/Location: SA

Post by Maverick »

We only have one faculty meeting per term as we have a set programme for all the teachers, for each year level, year after year and yes I do go to faculty meetings. I think it is very important to go and I concure with what you said Sue. A perfect place to have discussions about issues and hopefully get some resolution to them there face to face. I would encourage you to go if possible and to try and take the "I" out of "team" from the teachers. All the best.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

We have faculty meetings every second week to which I am invited and expected to attend. In fact, the first item on the agenda is the Lab Assistant's Report!! That is my chance to demonstrate, explain, request, plead, etc. It seems to depend largely on the HOD as to whether I am requested/allowed to attend these meetings. The alternate weeks there are general staff meetings which I do not attend.

We also have a SASS meeting/morning tea each Tuesday where information from the executive meeting on Monday afternoon is disseminated.

Robbie
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

We have a faculty meeting once a fortnight which I attend - find it very helpfull to know what is going on in the science area in genereal and always manage to put my two bobs worth in, sometimes wanted :thumbup: sometimes not [-X .
Have a whole school meeting once a week during second break which attend when can. Find it helps to know what is going on in the school in other areas not only in my own little world #-o .
Dont have SASS meetings very often as we have lunch together :drunk: most days so any problems we seem to let steam off over lunch :coffee: . Maybe not a good idea but it seems to work so why not.
I also type up Exec minutes so that keeps me up to date on that info.

KIMMY
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

I from day one was told there was no need for me to go to these meetings, I think its the facualtys way of keeping me like a mushroom. Last to know anything but always the first whos asked to fix or organise any problems.
Sometimes in stressful times I can feel its them against me!
But its what I am used to now, so I like my schedule just how it is. And It sometimes is an advantage being a mushroom.
Trish.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Up until this year I was expected to attend AND take the minutes.
This year I only attend when the HOD tells me she wants me there.
I NEVER attend Staff meetings because they are after school.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

trish armstrong wrote:I from day one was told there was no need for me to go to these meetings, I think its the facualtys way of keeping me like a mushroom. Last to know anything but always the first whos asked to fix or organise any problems.
Sometimes in stressful times I can feel its them against me!
But its what I am used to now, so I like my schedule just how it is. And It sometimes is an advantage being a mushroom.
Trish.
Yes from day one was also told the same thing, please keep it coming folks, so very interesting.

Thank you all so much
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
jat

Post by jat »

I can attend both Staff and Faculity meeting. In saying that there is know pressure to either way to attend or not! I go depending on what is on the agenda and I am free do leave when things move onto teacher stuff!

John
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

When I started at this school last year, I was invited to the first faculty meeting, introduced to the staff, then the staff were told that they were very lucky to have me( I filled the position the day before school started) and to be nice.
Since then, I am invited to, and attend our fortnightly meetings, and I give a quick update of any new equipment, or any other info or issues. Even though the meetings are held outside my working hours, I make the effort to attend, because they make an effort to make me feel part of the Science Faculty. Like Rosalie, I can then take any time banked up, off at other times.
Cheers,
Lisa
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

At our school all meetings are scheduled in school time, after sport, & although they can run over, usually everyone's very keen to get away on time!
All staff are expected to attend full staff meetings (monthly), but if it's teacher oriented and goes later than 3.30, I leave.
Faculty meetings are fortnightly, and I now alternate between Science and SASS, or choose if one is more important that week.
I was also in the 'never been invited boat' for my first 4 1/2 years here, then I got the courage to insist (with SAM's backing), as decisions were being made in my absence and without prior consultation, which directly affected my work. I made sure that I always took something to do (eg. making up new leads) so that there could be no complaint that I wasn't working(!), and anything involving my input was put at the head of the agenda, so I could leave the staff room as soon as I liked.
Since the change of HT things are vastly improved - I am totally included in meetings, consulted about anything relevant to my role, and treated as an equal.
In fact, HT even quoted the 'happy labbie, happy faculty' idea to me today, off the cuff, with absolutely no idea about this thread!! I managed to keep a straight face! Yep, it's now a really friendly atmosphere, and I look forward to going to work each day....we-ell, nearly every day... now if only we could fix the condition of the faculty in general .... oh, and the virtually non-existent budget .... and the stairs .... chemstore.... maybe take a few years off me .... blah blah blah....
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

I have never been invited to a faculty meeting. If I asked my HOD I'm sure he would say yes come along but I think it would be a waste of my time as it is all teacher orientated.

If there is something I want put forward I tell my HOD and he does it for me, it would mean more coming from him as well.

Nope I have been treated like a mushroom from day one which in some ways is how I like it, my office is downstairs (all on my own :cry2: ) and their staffroom is upstairs. I join them for lunch once or twice a week and on staff birthdays. Gets a bit lonely sometimes but all they talk about is teacher related stuff and I have nothing to contribute. I eat with admin staff more then science.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Our faculty meetings are once a fortnight and I always attend unless there is a SASS meeting at the same time (this happens sometimes). Lately there is more to attend to on the SASS side of things, so necessary to attend those meetings. I am, however, made welcome at faculty meetings and I put my foot down at the first one I attended, that I would NOT under any circumstances take the minutes. :coffee: :coffee:

Julie
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

We have a faculty meeting once a fortnight, and I am made to feel very welcome by the HOD. The others are a bit wary, as I usually tell them a few home truths, like how messy they leave the labs, writing on the desks is getting out of hand, doors aren't being locked, etc.
I find it's a good way to keep up with what's happening in regard to prac tests, and general school activities, so I don't mind attending. Plus it's at lunchtime, and the HOD organises a nice fruit platter!!
TeddyB

Post by TeddyB »

No I do not go to meetings. The HOD tells me what I need to know from these meetings if needs be.
Regarding staff and interaction, well I have been here now for 22 years, know where the skeletons are hidden, am on the safety committee, I am the IT Technician so basically I get no hassle from staff. Did once though, teacher demanded that I do something fro her straight away as I was the hired help to her, I just turned around put my back to her and walked away. She came back about an hour later with chocolates and apologies.
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi everyone
Funny this should be asked. I recently went to Head of Admin staff (Burser)with this as one of the issues. I am never even told of faculty meetings (they are intermittant) let alone have any input through anyone. I have to try and "catch" as many teachers at lunchtime as I can to tell them things they should know. Head teacher doesn't think I have anything worthwhile to contribute - except washing up by hand.Had a recent OHS inspection though and HT was told they were lucky to have an "excellent lab assistant" -worked till 5pm (paid till 3.30pm)for previous 2 weeks to tie up loose ends and told by Head teacher the area "just needed a little tidy up"! :cry2: Burser said that the inspection has stood me in good stead to get my issues looked at. Maybe theres hope
Regards
Sue G
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Keep speaking up for yourself, Sue. Any OHS concerns are a good place to start, and surely common sense will flow over into your Faculty putting better teamwork into practice.

Good Luck!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!