Buying Chemicals

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Buying Chemicals

Post by Loopy »

Morning,
I usually have purchased my chemicals through Westlab but now the new system of not being able to view chemicals and prices unless I am a registered credit account is a pain in the neck. Of course, my admin don't want me to know our account login. How do you (my trusty brains trust) order chemicals?
TIA
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Buying Chemicals

Post by Merilyn1 »

Oh why do finance people get so protective of this stuff? Lack of trust? Maintaining their position of control over us minions?
Fortunately I don't have a problem here with our finance people but have experienced it elsewhere.

Why won't they let you have access? I don't buy from Westlab, but don't you have to have a purchase order number to place an order? Finance are going to catch on real soon if you start making up purchase order numbers! Maybe try explaining to finance that you are trying to save your school some money - that might help. Or, could Westlab set you up with a separate log in so you could at least see prices?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Oh again, this is doing its rounds. So many place's want a login account. It's just making or job so much harder
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Can you email westlab with your list to get a quote instead? Pain in the butt, I know... or request a printed catalogue? I bought some through Science Supply Australia earlier in the year and just emailed them to request a quote (the printed catalogue I had was from a year or two ago so I wasn't sure if prices had changed).
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I have access to our school logins for all of our Science suppliers - although I did set most of them up myself! :D

Have you tried setting up an account linked to your work email address so you can research prices etc? That is why I set up all of ours.

Good luck! M
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Oh I see , they have changed it .

Oh well that's fine by me . If I can't see a price ,I will shop elsewhere. Simple, I only have X amount to spend each year . I will buy where I know how much it will cost .
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Thanks for all your input folks. I do have an email login with Westlab but just not one attached to an account. I think I will take the weekend to consider my choices. I, like you all, don't have time to farnarkle around chasing up things that. I don't know about you guys, but I am tiring of having to take several extra steps to achieve an outcome. *SIGH*Bring on the holidays.... :rules:
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

With Westlab I think they would be cool to just quote on your own email account. If you build a rapport with them and they know your attached to a school they'll look after you, specially when they see your PO's coming through. Painful not be able to just order on account but that's the way most schools are going so they can approve the purchase through a PO first....who know's you could be a crazy chem labtech and be ordering all sorts of wild stuff :wink2:
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

Oh and just had a thought....you could ask the finance people if they are okay with you setting up a limited account with Westlab, only have certain products on there that you can order. So basically they are approving up front the stuff you can get. Then get your other crazy chem's on PO when you need.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

I access westlab from my lab pc, I have the schools/my account details. It's only for pricing just set up your own. I like them because I save on delivery (free over $100) and half the time I just ring them up anyway. They also came out and did a fantastic PD day for me and a few local labbies and gave us cool stuff! You can also use their site to download SDS's if you need one. And they took over this forum for us so worth at least a look. I shop around for best prices but usually find Westlab comparable once I take into account shipping.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Loopy wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 09:57 Morning,
I usually have purchased my chemicals through Westlab but now the new system of not being able to view chemicals and prices unless I am a registered credit account is a pain in the neck. Of course, my admin don't want me to know our account login. How do you (my trusty brains trust) order chemicals?
TIA
I have my own log in details not the schools details.
Just do your own email address etc and get your own log in even if just to check prices
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

kimmy wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 11:23

Just do your own email address etc and get your own log in even if just to check prices
Have you tried it lately kimmy .
I used to have one too , that's how I did it too ,but last week it no longer worked .
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

bigmack wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 12:35

I used to have one too , that's how I did it too ,but last week it no longer worked .
perhaps try again or contact Westlab, I just checked out school login, nothing fancy about our account, just generic lab email address.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Anna Z wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 13:29
bigmack wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 12:35

perhaps try again or contact Westlab, I just checked out school login, nothing fancy about our account, just generic lab email address.
yep worked today
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Oops , so's mine again...... apologies to Westlab :oops:
Westlab - Alice
Job Title: Product Manager
School: Westlab Pty Ltd
Suburb: MITCHELL PARK

Post by Westlab - Alice »

Hello all!

Great to hear your feedback. We understand the hassle with viewing chemicals - however, we do not allow the public to purchase chemicals (that's why you have to login with a linked school account).

If you are unable to view the chemicals, feel free to email sales@westlab.com.au to set you up a login linked to the school account or give us a call on 1800 358 101.

All the best!
ALICE ELFORD
Product Manager
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alice-elford/
Westlab - Alice
Job Title: Product Manager
School: Westlab Pty Ltd
Suburb: MITCHELL PARK

Post by Westlab - Alice »

Westlab - Alice wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 09:47 Hello all!

Great to hear your feedback. We understand the hassle with viewing chemicals - however, we do not allow the public to purchase chemicals (that's why you have to login with a linked school account).

If you are unable to view the chemicals, feel free to email sales@westlab.com.au to set you up a login linked to the school account or give us a call on 1800 358 101.

All the best!
UPDATE
A couple of months ago we updated our website to allow all customers [including guests] to view our chemical range online and pricing. To purchase chemicals, you will need to log in to a school account or email/phone to place an order.
ALICE ELFORD
Product Manager
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alice-elford/
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Alice,
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc