Solar energy motor and Fan

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Solar energy motor and Fan

Post by bigmack »

We got these out yesterday and they did not work ...only one apparently .
OK to be fair , it was overcast and wet ,so the teacher used a couple of microscope lamps .
We have done this in the past and it is usually enough to get them spinning if you hold the lamps right up to them .

So I got them out today as it was very sunny . Sure enough , they wouldn't work .Then after sitting in the sun for a few minutes there was a bit of twitching and they one by one started working. After 5-10 minutes in the sun they were all going full steam .

I could now use them as normal .
so it would be a good idea if you need to get these out , to test them first .It seems they don't like being stored in the dark for a long time .
Solar energy Fans.jpg
Also of interest is that the very old (16 year) one took the longest to come around , but worked fine after a bit of sunshine .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Solar energy motor and Fan

Post by Merilyn1 »

That's interesting Bigmack. Thanks for sharing. I have an old solar powered music box my brother bought my mum in the 1970s - you can imagine how magical that was then! I thought it had conked out but I might sit it in the sun for a bit too.

And these little guys would fail as labbies - don't we all feel like we're kept in the dark? :giggle:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Woow, 50 years old ,worth a try Merilyn .....but may be more to that one though :whistling2:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

Mum had it stored away so we'll see how it goes. Even if it no longer works, I'll hold onto it.