Heating Mantles

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar
State/Location: NSW

Heating Mantles

Post by MariaQ »

Hi Guys, just looking for recommendations for heating mantles. We have some ceramic type ones, they have been here longer than me, over ten years and when used constantly trip the power. From my understanding this is due to the ceramic absorbing moisture over time and then when plugged in for use causing a fault and the safety switch trips. I did have them dried out once, had to be sent away to be baked dry and it wasnt cheap....so looking to replace with the newer fabric mesh type and am hoping some of you may of done this and could tell me what you purchased and if you are happy with them??? Cheers in anticipation. MariaQ :giggle:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Heating Mantles

Post by bigmack »

We got one of these off Serrata and the teachers have been happy with it so far.
heating Mantle.JPG
Note: it has a Power controller not a Temperature controller .Despite saying Temp adjust on the front .

This in my opinion is a better option than a temp controller . Why, ...because when teachers who should know better , but don't , try to demonstrate that alcohol boils at 78.3 degC try to separate it from a mix of water , complain saying it won't work ...which is exactly what happens . The mix boils at closer to 90 deg so nothing comes out …...and its our fault because we bought the wrong type of Mantle 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

Hey Bigmack, how long have you had this roughly? Any problems? Cheers MariaQ
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

About 4-5 years . No issues with it so far :whistle:
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

Great thanks heaps Bigmack !
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Hi Maria,

We bought ours about 2 years ago and they're awesome! Technos GE3278-01. I can't remember where we got it from though.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We have Technos as well. Never had a problem with them. I don't know where they came from either.