Incubators

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
karend
State/Location: NSW

Incubators

Post by karend »

Need new incubator. Bought small digital control one 2 years ago (IEC Brand) - heap of crap!! Looking at 'thermoline' brand. Would prefer NOT to have digital, but that's not going to happen! Any suggestions for a good one appreciated!!??
I think I should purchase an incubator and NOT a drying oven, as was suggested by a teacher? All advice very much appreciated.
harveyradar
State/Location: VIC

Re: Incubators

Post by harveyradar »

May I offer a few comments to help you select.

An oven produces temperatures typically ranging from +10°C to +200°C though some may only go to 110°C, while an incubator typically ranges from 5 to 60 °C.
Ovens are suitable for applications where general warming or heating is required.
Incubators are suitable for applications where general incubation or warming is required.

As Thermoline have said to me...
"Incubator boxes are not sealed...
All items put inside must be inside sealed containers otherwise condensation will occur on inside of box, and door. It will even seep through corner seams and condense on inside of outer case causing electrical failure."

Labec has on their website a useful guide to help in selecting
https://labec.com.au/assets/uploads/201 ... ide-12.pdf

plus then you have consider the different suppliers that offer other brands - I wish you luck and good health!

Harvey
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We have both and both are Thermoline. The drying oven is great for drying out specimens/samples. Also good if you need to dry your glassware. However, they had to get the power supply upgraded for the drying oven (maybe it is 3 phase??) which added to the cost. The incubator just plugs in to the normal supply. Our's has an internal glass door which I find useful - can check on things without letting the heat out.
I don't have a problem with condensation in the incubator. I have had problems in the past with condensation in the incubator when people have tried to use them as a drying oven - I actually thought the problem was because they sealed too well. I certainly get no odour coming from the incubator when it is in use, and they have been some rancid things in there!
The drying oven is huge so takes up a lot of space. It is great having both, but if I could only have one, I'd probably stick with the incubator as that is the one that gets used the most.
karend

Post by karend »

Thank you guys-your advice very much appreciated. Pass onto boss and she can make final decision!