Power Supply (Transformers)

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Cin
School: Narrabri High
Suburb: Narrabri
State/Location: NSW

Power Supply (Transformers)

Post by Cin »

Looking at purchasing new Power supplies (Transformers). We have a few of the Brand- IEC - General type, 2-12V, 5,5A,AC/DC. Which retail at $159 from Serrata. I have noticed that Serrata also have a cheaper Power supply @ $99.50, Brand- POPULAR General type, 2-12V, 5,5A,AC/DC.

Has anyone purchased the cheaper brand & are you happy with these?

Or does anyone have any suggestions of other brands?

Thanks
Cindy
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Power Supply (Transformers)

Post by bigmack »

Stick with the IEC . The clones are cheap for a reason . Just a little example . I was presented with one that had no pins inside the Power socket ...I looked at the lead .....apparently kid pulled 3 pin lead out of back , socket was so cheap , the pins had fused inside plug and he presents teacher with a lead with live bits of metal exposed :shock: .

I would rather have 10 good reliable power supplies for $150 each than 15 potentially dodgy ones for $100 each ....and at the end of the day if you buy cheap how much do you spend replacing them prematurely
emma.hunt
State/Location: NSW

Post by emma.hunt »

Hi Brains trust!

We have 2 of these transformers and when connected they keep saying overload. We've tried changing the fuse in the back but no luck.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Probably the Diodes have gone short circuit. they are worth about $1 each but the cost to replace them is not worth it .
Unfortunately we aren't allowed to do it our selves .
you can buy them .what you do with them is up to you .
https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vis ... gIfb_D_BwE

They are on a PCB behind the AC/DC terminals .( Note this is a pic of the IEC powers supply that your one was cloned off so I'd imagine its almost identical inside)
diodes.jpg
I've also had the smaller Zener Diodes go short too causing the same thing . BZW03C200 I think it is 6Watt 200V
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.