Sourcing of frozen rats

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Re: Sourcing of frozen rats

Post by nickykinz »

Is dissecting a rat really necessary for that unit? Like you say it is a lot of money (and dead rats!). I hope we aren't going to have to do it!
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

We did frozen rats, but only once due to an unpleasant smell and yukky liquid. Now we only do preserved. (and I did suss out disposal and southern biol said to bin them was ok) So I'd be interested to hear what the smell is like Satu11..... and if they end up in landfill....do rats eat rats????
nickykinz
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights

Post by nickykinz »

I spoke to our year 9 teacher who plans the work programme and we are just doing the hearts we got from Dissection Connection so that is good news. She did threaten to do it next year but I think she was joking! :beg:
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
DonS

Post by DonS »

I can vouch for Pices Enterprices Frozen feeders- check their website. They deliver from Brisbane great service cheap prices. The toads are always a hassle we collect them when the weather warms up- it has been unseasonable cold here in SE Qld so the toads are keeping a low profile.
coxy123
State/Location: NSW

Post by coxy123 »

A few years ago when I worked at Tafe, the local National Parks staff would bring in eskys full of cane toads. They would GIVE them to us to dissect. Only problem was, the toads weren't quite dead - they had been soaked in Dettol or Pine-O-Cleen or something, and were "subdued". I would put them in the freezer for a few days and then take them out the day prior to a dissection. A couple of students even put their toads in the microwave to help with the defrosting, but they forgot to turn the dial to defrost, and so it cooked for 3 minutes! What a smell. But interesting.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I cant get my head around the toad thing. It sounds so disgusting.....but I guess if we had the cane toad problem here I would think differently. Maybe we should do rabbits and foxes?????
agregory
Suburb: Townsville

Post by agregory »

Piglets were amazing. Organs much bigger, not smelly like rats. The students really benefited from and enjoyed that dissection!
RosalieL
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Hey so this is a very old thread - I was just wondering what is the current consensus on rats vs piglets and associated prices?

Any recommendations on where to buy rats (or piglets if they are better and the teacher agrees) in the Newcastle area?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We've bought piglets from Dissection Connection. Teacher was happy with them. We only bought one for each bio class for a teacher demo, so cost wasn't excessive for a senior class.
shellythenewlabby
School: Woonona High School

Post by shellythenewlabby »

we have bought them from a pet store
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Southern Biological, although we haven't bought any for sometime.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I have bought rats (dead obviously) from one of the pet stores here in Darwin. It was either Petbarn or Petstock. The biology teacher at that time wanted rats that smelled fresh and that looked newly dead :D and she wanted them at short notice. Usually though, we get rats from Southern Biological which come in a special preserving solution.
RosalieL
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

It’s that time of year again! Last year someone recommended a place that delivers frozen rats in the port stephens area (NSW). It may have been someone on the Asset email list. I don’t have access to my old emails due to technical changes over the school holidays so if anyone knows who I’m looking for could you please share here or PM me? Thanks!
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

We buy preserved rats from Southern Biological, but you can also buy the frozen ones from Dissection Connection - although last time I looked, it was cheaper to buy a stillborn piglet...
superbug

Post by superbug »

we use bio supplies in yagoona NSW
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

We buy ours from a local reptile-focused pet shop. They're frozen and intended as food for snakes but happy to sell to a school for dissection, and they're relatively cheap. So it's worth checking pet shops near you.