Spectral lamps

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree
State/Location: NSW

Spectral lamps

Post by ellice »

Hi all,
We have a really old Selby Spectral lamp stand. The only lamps I have for it are Ne, Hg and Na, and we are keen to buy some more lamps. I can't find them anywhere. They were made in the '60's and are the screw in type (not pins). Can anyone suggest where I could get some?
Regards 8) , Ellice
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Spectral lamps

Post by Lyn »

Went looking for a Selby's catalogue and you know you have problems when it comes up as the 1979 version and that it is in the confines of the National Library in Canberra. Thought about the age of the Selby's stand and wondered if it had been tagged as usable lately (O.H&S issues). Unless there is someone out there who is willing to get rid of ancient equipment, you should be able to pick up a set of seven discharge tubes and a stand for just over $400 brand new. Might be worth bending the ear of your Physics teacher to acquire some new equipment.
Lyn.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I'm on the same quest, My lamps are branded Philips and I've seen pictures of them when I googled "spectral lamps" but nobody can help me.
So If you find anything let me know please, and I will do the same! :banghead2:
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Thanks Lyn
Problem is the modern stuff is not a patch on the old!
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Thanks for that info Lyn. I've sent off a query.
Yes, Ocker, it sounds like we are looking for the same thing. Hope I get there first!!
Cheers, Ellice 8)
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

Hi, does anyone know if there is a correct way to dispose of the spectral tubes?
Thanks
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

Definitely don't put the mercury one in the bin! That would need to be disposed of as hazardous waste (picked up for disposal by Veolia or whoever). I'd ring my local council and see if they can be disposed of like light globes.