data loggers

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

data loggers

Post by Kathryn »

Hi all
We have used the Data Harvest data loggers for ever. We are needing to purchase more data loggers and we are considering biting the bullet and going with a new brand as we haven't always been happy with the data harvest. What are others using and do you like them?
Thanks in advance.
Kathryn :)
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: data loggers

Post by Merilyn1 »

We have the Vernier data loggers. I find them pretty easy to use and have a lot of functionality that never gets used. Vernier have a good range of probes that generally don't need calibrating. Vernier are also starting to release wireless probes that don't need a data logger and instead connect directly to student devices. I would be looking into these. We also just bought some of the Vernier dynamics carts, again these connect wirelessly to devices.
We buy from Scientrific who provide excellent after sales service. Stuart is always happy to come out and have a look at any problems or even walk you through equipment you've previously bought from them and show you the best way to use it. Naturally, he'll also come out to demonstrate before you buy.
My advice though is buy plenty of whatever you do choose. We have a few class sets here and they get used alot. At previous schools where we only had four, they didn't get used.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

We went with Pasco, represented by Ciderhouse. We've bought a lot of equipment, mostly sets of 8, thanks to the funding from the P&C. The Bluetooth connectivity is life changing for the students, it has created so much enthusiasm. Apart from the pH probes which have been a bit problematic, we're very happy with the choice.
shellythenewlabby
School: Woonona High School

Post by shellythenewlabby »

We bought our bluetooth ones from Ciderhouse. Teachers and students are happy with them
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

We use NeuLog from Westlab so easy to use. NOT BEING PAID. LOL
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

thanks for your replies. Unfortunately our budget will not allow a class set to be purchased all at once.
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

I have been at two schools and both have purchased Pascoe probes. We gradually add to the quantities as we can. We started with 1 or 2 of various probes. Ciderhouse is very helpful in getting you started.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

I know that data loggers is a topic that comes up A LOT! So I’ve chosen this thread to jump onto/into…

Are any of the above mentioned data loggers compatible with iPads?

I am looking on websites etc to see what I should recommend to our school. We currently have a data harvest that we struggle to get to work. I previously used the pasco Xplorer GLX (which is now discontinued) but that was at a different school about 10 years ago. Our budget is limited (aren’t they all?) so ones that don’t need the actual interface device sound potentially good!
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Vernier are bringing out a lot of wireless probes which connect straight to computers. You would need to be able to get Vernier's Graphical Analysis app to use them so you'd need to check if that is available for your tablets.
I can connect our Vernier data loggers to PCs using Logger Lite but I don't have any experience with iPads. You could check with Scientrific.
Otherwise I find the Vernier data loggers pretty easy to use. I've spent a lot of the past lockdown working out how to use them a lot more and was surprised at how simple they were once you have some instructions to follow.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Thanks Merilyn,
I looked on their website and found it in the FAQ section. I have now sent the link on the vernier page to the science teachers for them to see what they think. They seem like the way to go instead of buying the interface as well.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

We use Pasco gear and is pretty much like the Vernier stuff and same set up. Wireless and connect direct to computers,
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Anna Z wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 07:47 We use Pasco gear and is pretty much like the Vernier stuff and same set up. Wireless and connect direct to computers,
Anna, Did you have to buy the software package as well or is the free app enough to run everything?
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

RosalieL wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 08:04
Anna Z wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 07:47 We use Pasco gear and is pretty much like the Vernier stuff and same set up. Wireless and connect direct to computers,
Anna, Did you have to buy the software package as well or is the free app enough to run everything?
Free app for a few things, but generally you need Sparkview, it is an initial purchase when you buy some of their gear and then you have it for life with free upgrades. We also use the Capstone software (Pasco) ... it's Sparkview on steroids for our Yr 11 and 12 classes. Awesome, once off purchase ~$400 then lifelong updates free. Sparkview is very easy to use and the online library for training and pracs is amazing through Pasco, as a lab tech you could spend weeks there :) Highly recommend. We have not had any issues with data logging at all and I know it's a real pain in general. NO MORE DATA INTERFACES :)

I have heard the Vernier stuff is also good, I have no experience with those.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Anna Z wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:22
Free app for a few things, but generally you need Sparkview, it is an initial purchase when you buy some of their gear and then you have it for life with free upgrades. We also use the Capstone software (Pasco) ... it's Sparkview on steroids for our Yr 11 and 12 classes. Awesome, once off purchase ~$400 then lifelong updates free. Sparkview is very easy to use and the online library for training and pracs is amazing through Pasco, as a lab tech you could spend weeks there :) Highly recommend. We have not had any issues with data logging at all and I know it's a real pain in general. NO MORE DATA INTERFACES :)

Sorry for all the questions - does it need a computer/laptop to work or does the software package run on devices as well? As far as I know, the kids don't have access to laptops, only iPads. I know I can ask this of the company as well but sometimes it's better to hear it from the people who use it! I am tossing up between vernier and pasco and I think at the moment vernier is winning...
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I've just been playing around with the CO2 probe and do like that I can save the graphs and data to my laptop when using the Vernier data loggers. Not sure if Pascoe allows you to do that.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

We ended up going with Vernier. My HoD managed to get some of the cost from Capital budget due to our previous loggers basically becoming obsolete due to the school changing over from PC to Mac's. The teachers have been very happy with Vernier and we are purchasing a few more items this year.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

What would you consider the "must haves" for Chemistry and Biology? We will put off getting the HSC physics ones till next year as we do compressed HSC so won't be running Physics in 2022. What would you recommend for years 7-10? I am hoping some of them will be used by the PD/H/PE department and probably Ag as well.
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

RosalieL wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:40
Anna Z wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:22

Sorry for all the questions - does it need a computer/laptop to work or does the software package run on devices as well? As far as I know, the kids don't have access to laptops, only iPads. I know I can ask this of the company as well but sometimes it's better to hear it from the people who use it! I am tossing up between vernier and pasco and I think at the moment vernier is winning...
all good ask away. The Pasco stuff logs exactly like Vernier, all to a device and graphs it beautifully. Pasco can be used on all devices, we have students with laptops, Mac's, Ipads and some use phones for collecting data. Sparkview works on all. :) I know schools tend to be Vernier or Pasco, to be honest they are pretty much the same it just depends on which brand you buy...just don't have both lots of stuff in the same school :) We have excellent support for Pasco gear as the supplier is just down the road and can pop in when we have a brain fart and need help. I would speak to both of your suppliers and see who is looking likely to offer the better after sales service. You don't just want a salesmen, rather someone that knows the stuff.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

How many data loggers were you able to get? If you have a class set, get the same number of temperature probes and pH meters. These are the ones we use the most. If you don't have a class set of data loggers, at least get as many of these probes as data loggers. My experience is the more you have the more they get used.
Light meters get used a bit but we only have two.
We have heaps of Physics ones, which I know you're not interested in at this stage and, to be honest, I don't know how much they get used.
The heart rate monitor get used a bit.
Conductivity probes get used by Chemistry a couple of times a year. Would be good for Ag as well.
One thing I do love from Vernier are the dynamics carts - quite expensive but can really demonstrate acceleration and forces to Yr 8 and 10. These don't need to be connected to data loggers but just something I thought I'd mention. We did buy them for Physics but I'm trying to get the other teachers using them to justify the expense. But that's something for the future.

As Anna says, the two are much of a muchness. My experience has only been with Vernier (four schools and all Vernier). Scientrific have great support as well. Stuart has been really helpful, even with equipment we have had for years.
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

Looks like no one can go wrong here, Merilyn with the Vernier experience and our school with Pasco...win win for anyone with Q's