How do I describe what I do?

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
remlap12
State/Location: NSW

Re: How do I describe what I do?

Post by remlap12 »

Lyn wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 10:53 Please google the following: School science laboratory technicians national standards for professional practice 2014. This document will give you an outline of what it is that we do in our jobs. Just adapt it to your own situation.
there is also an updated 2019 version
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Thanks Remlap12 for the information on the update. It helps us all to know that there is this information available. Now if only the administrations we work for would take this information on board and use the updated classification designations for our job descriptions.
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

Could I ask for some feedback from others about our job?
I'm only relatively new (3rd year part time) but was wondering how other lab assistants felt about the responsibility of student safety during pracs?
Do you have the responsibility to make sure that students are wearing their safety glasses and lab coats? I'm just unsure if it's in our job description to do these things and don't want to step on any toes by walking into a classroom and pointing out safety issues.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Check with your Head of dept, think it is the teachers responsibility not ours?? I was DoE
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We are responsible for our own safety, not what goes on in the classroom. However, if you happen to be walking past a classroom and see something dangerous occurring, it would be appropriate to say something. If it was something imminently dangerous eg running around with a scalpel, I would directly intervene. If it was something less urgent eg student not wearing safety glasses, I would bring it to the attention of the teacher if you believe the teacher was not aware.
If you notice that the teacher is consistently allowing students to work with unsafe practices, that would be a matter for the coordinator. You should report this sort of behaviour to your coordinator.
If it is your coordinator behaving badly, you could take it either to your WHS committee or someone higher up the food chain.
It is the responsibility of the teacher to do the risk assessment and ensure students are following the controls they have put in place. In a nutshell, it is not our direct responsibility, but you do need to speak up if you see something you believe is hazardous.
KassH
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

Thanks Merilyn and Labbie,

I agree that the teacher should be responsible for student safety but if it is something imminently dangerous something should be done.
It's mainly just things like no safety glasses and lab coats when the teacher has identified the need for them on riskassess. I might start with a gentle approach - a friendly reminder. 🤔
Thank you. Sometimes it can feel a bit lonely in this job and I really appreciate being able to discuss these things here.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Do you go to your faculty meeting? I've found this to be a good opportunity to point out problems without targeting specific teachers. eg give a reminder that teachers should follow their controls on their risk assessment.
Best to avoid confrontations, it will only end in grief.
mtg
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

It depends on how I'm feeling on the day! I just stood in the corridor and told kids off as I was there, and they annoyed me, in a class I step in and sort safety but it's not my responsibility, I am only here 2 days a week so teachers hopefully read risk assess and do it when I'm not.
tuesday
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

This has been a very interesting read and concerning too for those who have had to learn on the job and thrown in the deep end. When I moved to Canberra, I was snatched up quickly as I carry a Dip in Chemistry and work for years in industrial type labs. I've meet some amazing Lab Tech's here in the ACT who are like me, come from a Lab background and found working in schools great but that is in the Catholic and private schools.
In the schools that I have worked in, I have set up a colour code system in labelling all our storage for equipment so that anyone can find what they need with a spreadsheet printed off alphabetically too.
ie I2 Bulb pipette 25ml Gradual pipette 10ml
Bulb pipette 50ml Gradual pipette 5ml
Bulb pipette 20ml Gradual pipette 2ml
Bulb pipette 10ml Pipette fillers
That's what they would find in that space and so on. It took awhile to do but my storage goes through from A1-6, B1-14, C1-5 etc with each Letter being a different colour. All signs laminated and put on each space to find. I hope this may help someone out there when organizing their prep-rooms.
I'm a strong believer that everyone in this role is trained to cover them for WH&S issues as that old saying goes 'knowledge is power' . Take care everyone and enjoy your science :)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We did this about 6 years ago, it took us a long long time to complete, but once done, it has been Oh so good.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: