NON Trained science teacher

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
shellythenewlabby
School: Woonona High School
State/Location: NSW

NON Trained science teacher

Post by shellythenewlabby »

Afternoon Everyone

Just a question...What is the highest molar a non science trained teacher (who is currently re training)can use? :? :oops: :-?

Thanks heaps
Michelle
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: NON Trained science teacher

Post by Merilyn1 »

Oh yuk - maybe a decision for a higher power. What school system are you working in?
I don't know of a definitive answer for most schools. A non-hazardous chemical on it's own may be okay, but it depends on what it is being mixed with etc. Most schools I've worked in do not allow non-science teachers to do any pracs. There are too many risks that a inadequately trained teacher would not be aware of.
My gut feel would be none, but this really comes down to what your management think should be done. At the end of the day, it is not our responsibility to over-ride management decisions. However, I would be taking some good notes about any conversations you have regarding this situation.
karend

Post by karend »

We do not allow non-science teachers to do any practical lessons, let alone use chemicals!!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Some of the best science teachers I have ever had were not trained as science teachers. They had done perhaps a science unit as part of their teaching course but were not science teachers. One was a home economics teacher, one was a maths teacher and another was a primary school trained teacher. One thing they all had in common was that they were able to maintain order and discipline within the classroom. Two went on to be heads of the science department. Just be there to assist wherever possible. Perhaps get them to come and work through any prac before they actually do it with the kids. Never give them a bottle of sodium metal thinking they know how to demonstrate its use. ( After one unsettling experience I now ask every trained teacher if they have ever used/demonstrated sodium metal.) Offer to do the demonstration yourself. Most teachers jump at the chance for the lab tech to do that demonstration. Try not to show them the excitement of bucket chemistry. If the junior pracs calls for strengths up to 2M it should be okay. Most pracs are 0.1M to 1M anyhow. Time will let you know if this person is capable in the classroom.
shellythenewlabby
School: Woonona High School

Post by shellythenewlabby »

Thanks Lyn...This teacher is a very capable teacher in classroom management and discipline. This is his 2nd year with us in the science department and does ask the science trained teachers for help when needed in which they are happy to do....Its just that they all asked me what is the highest molar that he was able to use until he has finished re-training ...
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Our casuals and non-science staff are allowed to do pracs that don't involve chemicals at the HT's discretion based on the class and the teacher .
There have been a rare few occasions where they have been permitted to use relatively safe chemicals ( salt , calcium carbonate etc ) but anything to do with Bunsen's or risky chemicals is a definite no no with the exception of one of our TAS teachers .....but then he's used to kids using Oxy torches plasma cutters and the likes . Again it comes down to HT discretion.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

Merilyn1 wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 11:12 At the end of the day, it is not our responsibility to over-ride management decisions.
I regularly over-ride 'management' decisions and consistently re-design practical activities (sometimes on the run) based on what I'd do if I was teaching the class. ie I provide what they need - not what they think they need.

In our school if I don't approve it, then it doesn't happen (and sometimes, if I just don't feel like doing it).

Luckily I'm more experienced and knowledgeable than any of the (even science-trained) teachers we have here, and they all refer to me first (even the STEM Senior Leader who is the Senior Chemistry teacher).

I'm blessed to be in a position where I'm viewed as a valuable STEM resource, as I get the feeling from other lab personnel's comments over the years (both in this forum and in person) that sometimes their teachers make their lives a lot more difficult than mine has ever seemed to be.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Gee, I think you're getting above your station unless they are paying you a lot more than the rest of us! Sorry, but in my spot, they pay me as an "assistant" and that's what I do. Big decisions are for people earning a lot more than me. I feel it is also about respect for my coordinator and teachers - they are all competent and experienced, I'm not about to doubt their ability! Conversely, they respect and appreciate my input. but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

Not sure I'm paid excessively..my wife definitely thinks I'm not - but somewhere in the range of a 3-4th year teacher in SA (but without the benefit of 12 weeks holidays per year).
Sad thing is that even though I've been here 20 years, this is as good as it gets - there's no moving up and I probably still have 20 more years of work until retirement.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot