what formal qualifications, if any do you all have?

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Jennag
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Clare High School
Suburb: Clare
State/Location: SA

what formal qualifications, if any do you all have?

Post by Jennag »

Just wondering what qualifications you have.
I have taken over this lab tech position nearly 18 months ago it was only meant to be for a term but have been put on a contract ( hopefully permanent soon) and am looking at doing some training i did science at school and started a science based degree but never finished so just seeing what is the norm in lab world. I am looking at cert 4 through tafe to get me started?

Thoughts?

Jenna
Narelle01
State/Location: NSW

Re: what formal qualifications, if any do you all have?

Post by Narelle01 »

Bachelor of Applied Science (Diversional Therapy) Nothing to do with what I do here, well maybe a little bit as I did anatomy and physiology.
Educated at school
Google
Chemtalk
Continuing Professional Education (Conferences)
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

None
2.5 years lab Ass in Food Processing Industry
5 years Lab Manager Food Processing Industry
20.5 in current position

love this; me too
Google
Chemtalk
Continuing Professional Education (Conferences) when available which is not often enough out bush

and still get treated like how would I know
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I have uni qualifications in horticulture, so really useful for any plant questions! Doesn't help me with anything to do with physics though.

I also completed my Certificate III in Lab Skills this year which helped with some of the "finer" things. The course is designed for people wanting to work in commercial laboratories, so not always relevant to this job, but it was good to know the "proper" way to do things, and gave me a bit more confidence with what I already knew.
Consider doing the Cert III first, if you can, then add on the extra work for the Cert IV. The school wanted someone with Cert III level. I wouldn't now worry about doing anything more than what I have done, but maybe I'm just getting old and cynical! However, I am pleased that I did do the TAFE course.
me
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Castle Hill High
Suburb: Castle Hill

Post by me »

I have a Biology Technicians Diploma from many years ago. When I came back into the school system I did the Certificate III Educational Support (Science).
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I came to science with absolutely no science background - more years ago than I care to remember :yuck:
I have a degree in librarianship, which was not very helpful. :whistling2:
Recently I did the Certificate III Laboratory skills course externally through Armidale TAFE. Considered doing Cert IV but I don't see the point at my age and TAFE fees I think have skyrocketed over the past few years. :redcard:
So what I haven't learnt yet about being a lab tech I will either learn on the job or probably never know :console:
The SLAMN conference is pure gold to us labbies - I highly recommend it :clap3: :clap3:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Industrial Chemistry . Advanced Diploma Laboratory Management. Part way through Maths/Teaching degree then couldn't afford to continue.
Worked in laboratories at a lead-zinc smelter for years, moving into their research facility;
Research Assistant to Professor of Chemistry until he died- during which time I attended all his lectures and did all the tutorials;
then back to research at the Industrial plant, then into school system .. been here 15 years
Lots of PD training days..
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

I did Cert IV Applied Science - Chemistry. Was going to do the Diploma but could only do it full time and I didn't want to lose this job. Besides I've learnt so much with 'on-the-job' training and conferences and it's been fun learning it all.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

No science background at all!
I did the cert III at TAFE in 2012.
Most of my learning has been on the job, on this site, and definitely Dr Google!!
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

None in Science at all. Cert III in Education Support completed while working as a teachers aide. Was thrown in the deep end with Science and left to sink or swim (fortunately I swam) and have relied on Google, Chemtalk, PD days, The Laboratory book and asking the chemistry teacher.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

I did the (old) Chemistry Certificate and post-cert Chemical Instrumentation at Sydney TAFE to pursue career as Technical Officer in govt. labs (toxicology) which I eventually chucked in for a local job. Less $ but also not spending 3 hours/day in Sydney traffic. :-({|= :yuck: :cry2: :redcard:
Xe, SD, KOPR
Rakhi Karumathil
Job Title: Science Laboratory Technician

Post by Rakhi Karumathil »

I did my masters in medical biochemistry and bachelors in biochemistry. As an immigrant i need to gain some experience.
So i did 1 year volunteer job in UNSW research laboratory as a technician, then got contract job in UNSW science department as technical officer, same job for contract at ACU. Finally my permenent job in my current school. I will be joining another school next year close to my home and also i will be doing some casual teaching for undergraduate students in a leading unversity from next year. I am happy with what i have now :clap3: \:D/ :D

Cheers
Rakhi :coffee:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Well done, Rakhi! Good to hear you kept persevering. It must be tough trying to get into a whole new system, a long way from "home".
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Rakhi - I have some idea how hard it is when you come to Australia with qualifications from overseas.. It is hard to obtain recognition. My co-worker here has a Chemistry degree from India and she cannot obtain recognition for it from Australian Universities. The problem is the time and cost of translating all her qualifications into English, as well as the outcome of each subject. Until this is translated into English and then 'someone' has to go through it to make sure it is equivalent to an Australian degree...and THEN , perhaps, you may be granted degree status.
Rakhi Karumathil

thanks merilyn...its true...now its almost five years in Australia \:D/
Rakhi Karumathil

Hi Sunray,
My qualifications is already recogonised and now its equivalent to Australian masters degree :clap3: \:D/ . As my all documents and certificates are in English so it was not a pain. I did my school and uni in english medium, so no more translation needed :-({|= But you are true as in some parts of india they use their local or national language in the certificate, so its hard.

Thanks guys for encouraging and valuable comments :D :-({|=

Cheers
Rakhi
Rakhi Karumathil

Hi sunray,

You are true as in some parts of India, they use their local or national language in their certificates. But i came from an English medium, and all my certificates were in English, so it was very easy to get recognized my qualifications here. Now my masters is equivalent to Australian masters. The good thing is that i dont have to do any more papers \:D/ :clap3: I was offered to do a PhD during my volunteer time, but i don't want as there is no many jobs/ funding in research field.

Now i am happy to be a school lab tech and hope one day i will succeed in achieving my dream :-({|= :D

Cheers
Rakhi
Rakhi Karumathil

sorry i sent twice.... blaming technology :crazy: :w00t: 8O :crazy: