Laboratory Skills Course

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
littltesttube
State/Location: NSW

Laboratory Skills Course

Post by littltesttube »

Good Morning
I received a letter this morning from Blacktown TAFE stating that they are offering Certificate III in Laboratory Skills. It is proposed for Tuesday and Wednesday nights 6pm to 9pm. Contact Louise Maule by email Louise.maule@tafensw.edu.au or phone 92081810.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Laboratory Skills Course

Post by Labbie »

Yes I also got that, do hope it takes off, its so hard to get those courses up and running.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

The Cert III is also running at Campbelltown TAFE this year, with a mid year intake in Term 3, Monday nights from 5.30 to 9.30pm - not sure why the hours are longer than Blacktown, maybe we're a bit slower in these parts? :crazy:

I was speaking to the TAFE teacher last week and it all looks okay for it to continue on. The only problem is that next year, as with other TAFE courses, the fees are set to increase significantly. I don't think there is any clear information about what the fees will be, there's certainly a lot of speculation. I'm concerned that the number of people who will want to enrol next year, if the fees do increase by a large amount, will not justify the course being run. I'm going to take my chances and get half done this year and hope that I can finish it next year.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

It really is well worth doing the course, and as it is for Education you can claim the money back via tax,
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
AmandaDLG
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Merrylands High School
Suburb: Merrylands

Post by AmandaDLG »

Hopefully my school is paying and I will be going to this :clap3:
Amanda :coffee:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

How much does it cost to do the course?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hi Rae
For 2014 the cost is about $410 per semester. The fees are set to rise next year and the rumour is "significantly". The teacher I spoke to said they could go up to $1000 per semester. For me, with only two years experience, I think it will be worth the money, so will have to start saving for next year!
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

At long last !!!!!!!! TAFE is doing something. We need to have TAFE get on board with this out in the regional areas now.!!!!!!!
Cheers
Mother
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Armidale TAFE also runs this course and have in the past done Cert IV in laboratory techniques. I am just about finished this with a workshop this weekend.
They do it through distant education with 8 to 10 hours per week home based study with Moodle and workbook activities. Fortnightly on-line teaching sessions over 2 semesters plus five x 2 day weekend workshops. 2014 Workshop dates: 22 and 23 Feb, 3 and 4 May, 14 and 15 Jun, 19 and 20 Jul, 18 and 19 Oct.
They have had labbies from Tamworth, Sydney, Canberra and various places on the coast do the course.
At the moment $419 per semester taking 2 semesters.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I really want to do this one, but I can only do online. So far I can't find anywhere offering a mid year intake for distance education...
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

I did the Cert III course at TAFE in Newcastle in 2012. I am working at a local high school as the lab assistant ( temporary at this stage ). Having absolutely no prior experience in science at all I found the course basically useless, it really covers very little of what we do day to day!! That's my opinion! I have just been dropped in the deep end and am trying to figure things out as I go! I must say though, thankfully all the science teachers here have been very patient with me and are helping me a great deal!
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Post by dss8386 »

I managed to get the QLD government to pay for my Cert IV through Symbio Alliance in Brisbane (correspondence). I think it cost about $10,000. Once I finish I will be going to continue on with my Diploma which will cost me about $4,000. (my pay rise will cover that) Not complaining, not bad for a $14,000 course. I think as of July all funding for the Cert IV closed thanks to this terrible government.

Its definitely worth doing. I found TAFE to be a lot more job specific, when I had a go at Uni, its a lot of waffle and you have to learn things you will never need. The course I am doing in specific to lab tech in education.

Dave
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Can I advise you all that if you are thinking of doing this course - do it NOW!
Next year the course fees for all TAFE courses go up astronomically - will be in the thousands of dollars - so do not wait any longer.
For example, Certificate 4 Laboratory Techniques costs $570. Next Year the cost will be$3,250 for a first course and $3,790 fro a subsequent course.
This is due to the State Government changing what they subsidise and the way in which they do so.
Contact your local TAFE to find what is on offer and try to start this semester.
In Newcastle, there is a group of us going to study the Advanced Diploma Laboratory Techniques , which costs $900 now. Next year it will be closer to $10,000.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I checked with the teacher this week and she has told me that next year the Cert III in Lab Skills will be $1300 per semester. If you are considering doing this course, it is not too late to enrol now for this semester, at least that way you can take advantage of one semester @ $420.

The course at Campbelltown is only run one night a week for four hours with some on-line components. So far, it is a very small class, which is working really well, but it would be good to have some more people.
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

I did my Advanced Diploma studies at Newcastle TAFE and was fantastic but that was many years ago
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

There are 7 of us doing the Advanced Diploma of Laboratory Management at Newcastle TAFE. Thoroughly enjoying it! One night a week : short lecture then into the laboratory to do prac work mainly on instruments. The rest of it is competency based - we have to supply evidence of our competency in many areas.
For me it is like 25 years has dropped away - I haven't forgotten much at all. All that confuses me is the instruments are controlled by computers,, whereas I used to have to set them up by myself completely.. not so hard to do now!
I woudl recommend this course - especially with the teacher at Newcastle TAFE - she is brilliant!
Over the past few years I have applied for jobs in industry but not got to first base. I found out that my 'skills' were outdated and the companies would have to bring me up to speed on instruments, whereas with someone more recently trained they can start work immediately.
So this will also help me bring my skills up to speed - and maybe I can get a higher paid job in industry!
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Hi all,
Dubbo TAFE is apparently offering a course for 2015 (short on details at this stage) but wait for it .............. the course is going to cost $6,000!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
The government isn't going to subsidise fees any more. So the fees will be payed for like Uni.HEC fees. I really can't see this course getting the numbers which would be soooooooooo disappointing. In the smaller schools far out west it will be near impossible to gain experience. Once again distance is a killer.
The course probably could be offered through distance education but I don't know if this would even be possible.

Mother
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

Some of us did Cert III online through Armidale TAFE. 3 semesters, with 2 weekend workshops at Armidale University per semester. The weekends were full-on and we had to pay for accommodation, but got the Certificate at the end of it - and it didn't cost anywhere near $6000 - OMG!!
AmandaDLG
School: Merrylands High School
Suburb: Merrylands

Post by AmandaDLG »

I"m enjoying the course....Only 8 people in the class....& Im the only School Labbie. :)
Amanda :coffee:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hey Amanda, I can beat that, only 4 in my class (it was 3 but they convinced a day student to come to the night classes where she would fit in better). I, too though, am the only school labbie. We're doing a subject on quality control - I don't know, I just can't get into it for some reason :giggle:

I'm just concerned with what will happen next year as I'm the only one who will have to continue on next year. Add this to the increase in fees and I think there may not be too many people queuing up to enrol!