Laboratory Skills Course

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: Laboratory Skills Course

Post by sunray18 »

I think the TAFE staff are worried. Who will pay that much money for courses? The only saving point is that Uni degrees are going to be SO expensive that TAFE will still be the cheaper option. BUT it is becoming education for the RICH only - making the separation between rich and poor even wider in our country.
ferret

Post by ferret »

Hi all,
I have just enrolled in course 19411 Lab Skills Cert III at Griffith TAFE. The course is done by distance and booklets are sent out to be worked through at your own pace. It does not involve weekend residentials, but I will be sending photos,video footage of my work. My head teacher is going to supervise my work and sign off that I can do it. You need to be working as a labbie to enroll. The course is run over 2 years at 6 hours per week. I plan to complete it in 1 year to save on fees. This semester is costing me $469. At least I am getting in one semester at cheaper rates. TAFE are not sure on next years fees, but I understand, for me, it will depend on how many modules I have to complete next year. I have been a labbie for 6years (casual) and want recognition for my skills.
Hope this information helps.
Cheers
ferret
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

For the Lab Techs out west........ sorry to tell you that Dubbo TAFE is not running a Laboratory Certificate 111 Course.
Such a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mother
helie

Post by helie »

Good Afternoon All
I'm up on the northern border in the Tweed Area.
Does anyone know of a Cert lll happening anywhere near here.
I'm very new in a large school. HELP!!!!!
Toni
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Toni, we are always here to help you. Sorry I do not know of a course in your area, but give the local tafe a call, they may be able to help you. If you are stuck come onto chemtalk, we will always help you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I noticed on this forum a bit earlier that someone had enrolled at Griffith by distance ed with no residentials - that might suit you Toni.

Campbelltown TAFE is running the Cert III again next year for those of us in this part of the world. There was a glitch earlier on which didn't list Campbelltown in the campuses running the course, but it is definitely going ahead, if they get the numbers. I have a personal interest in recruiting as I need to enrol next semester to complete the course.
ferret

Post by ferret »

Hi all
I have just completed 9 units (in one semester) of lab skill Cert III course 19411 at Griffith Tafe. I am waiting to see what my costs will be next year to contniue and complete my remaining 4 units. My understanding is that my fees will be based on units to complete. I have just had a look at this course online and the costs for next year, for a new enrollment are $2660. Thought this might be useful for some labbies. :D
Cheers
ferret
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Yes, that's the amount I've been quoted for next year. I haven't enrolled yet - who has that sort of money this side of Christmas?!
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Armidale TAFE are running a Cert III next year through distance ed, with 5 or 6 weekend residentials during the year. The advertised course fee is $2660 subsidised by the government, or $3300 full fee. I'm enrolling & hopefully they'll get enough participants so they don't have to cancel it.

Mel
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Thank goodness when we did this course through Armidale TAFE a couple of years ago, it was not so expensive. Those course fees, if not out of reach, would at the very least make you stop and think about how badly you want to do it. :redcard: I would not have done it at that price. :-({|= :-({|=
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have just completed Advanced Diploma of Laboratory Management at Hunter TAFE - cost $900 this year - $13000. Very challenging - unless you have done your Cert 4 don't attempt it. A lot of instrumentation in it .. which I thoroughly enjoyed - took me back years to working in Research and industry!
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I think there may be HECS-type arrangements for higher level courses at TAFE. Worth checking out if you are interested in doing something beyond Cert III.
AmandaDLG
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Merrylands High School
Suburb: Merrylands

Post by AmandaDLG »

I have just finished this course at Blacktown TAFE and as its not hard or has a lot to do with our JOBS it still gives new people some good general knowledge of what to do with spills and how to make agar, first aid, how to read symbols of chemicals. I found it interesting and worth it.
Amanda :coffee:
Flick88

Post by Flick88 »

Hi,
I am just wondering if anyone knows of a Laboratory Skills course coming up in 2016 for new Labbies in Western NSW.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

TAFE New England were planning on running a course externally this year. You would have to be able to travel to Armidale for weekend workshops, about 6 of them all up I think. I completed the Cert III there last year. Most courses would have started at the beginning of this semester. Good luck!

Mel