Job Description

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Job Description

Post by Mother »

Lab assistants in NSW public schools are part of what is called 'SASS' meaning: School Administrative and Support Staff This includes:All Office Staff,Home Science,Science and Library and we are all on the same level of pay.I have completed a TAFE course for Science and Administration. Because I work in a Senior College(Yrs.10,11&12) with 800+students,from my experience anyone who wants to work in schools always wants to work in the office. Working in Science is considered a danger area.I believe that Science should be a selective area and not come under the umbrella of SASS or if we do, perhaps be on a higher rate of pay.The Science Assistant's job description of years ago is vastly different to what it is now.Maybe knowledge and training should now be a prerequisite for working in Science.What do you all think?I'm very interested to know!!!
Cheers
Lee.
TritonX

Post by TritonX »

I totally agree with you Mother. I have previously worked as a chemist but I've only been a lab assistant for about 6 weeks and I sometimes wonder how people without a science background cope with the job.

I was very surprised with level of pay. I assumed it would have been alittle higher. :lol:
Robb

Job Description

Post by Robb »

Just to re-iterate, it is easier in schools to have qualifications inside the Science discipline I think. Some parts of operating in school laboratories require, sometimes, strong areas of knowledge or experience in some aspects of the business.

It helps with knowing specific techniques, recipes for some mixtures, improving or knowing a possible substitution for some reagents.

Laboratory calculations and stoichiometry from areas of Inorganic and Organic Chemistry not forgetting Physics and Biology just to name a few are detrimental to our job.

All of this can be used in relevant key areas away from Syllabus levels such as Chemical Safety, OH&S and to even broaden to assisting teachers with specialty practical lessons or technical help.

When you look at Science from an Occupational Health and Safety aspect, then this opens up key issues regarding work safety. Working safely with work place chemicals and knowing what their incompatibility is with other chemicals/materials, including incompatible or incorrect storage techniques.

Having said that, those people who work in a school Science position that do not have relevant qualifications but do have many years of experience, will often have gathered excellent resources and skills upon the way.

This stands these people in good stead, and it is gratifying to know that their experiences and time in a school laboratory can lead to reputable skill levels. Although formal training or qualifications would be more advantageous. Not everyone has an opportunity to do this though.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
DA

Job Description

Post by DA »

Pre about 1988 there were different rates of pay for NSW school assistants working in different areas of the school. The Senior School Assistant was on the highest rate, then came Science Assistants, then Library & office staff, then print room & kitchen assistants were the lowest paid. There were also allowances available for typing speed for office staff, first aid certificate, I think a "duplicating machine" allowance and one for science people who had completed the TAFE course. (the allowance was 0.06c per hour) for Lab Assts. The department & PSA agreed to make everyone level and abolosh all allowances apart from First Aid. They brought everyone up to the same level as a Science Assistant - so they got very big payrises and we got nothing. This was despite Science Assistans across NSW complaining - but remember we are a minority and so the vote naturally went against us. We definitely should be paid at a higher rate as our responsibilities are just as important as say the SAM. Is it the same in other states? :?:
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Job Description

Post by Jen1 »

Could you please tell me what the payscales are for lab techs in different states? Here in WA a level one lab tech starts at $27,887 and after 9 years of service increase to $34,851 (75 hours per fortnight, work 41 weeks per year and have 11 weeks annual leave (school holidays)). Recently school officers (office staff) and library asssistants have been reclassified as level two making us, along with gardeners, the lowest paid members of the department. My school has over 725 students in years 8 -10 and I am the only lab tech here.
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Job Description

Post by Teresa »

There are a wide range of circumstances with regard to the qualifications, training, experience and pay levels held by School Laboratory Technicians in Australia.

Through my personal contacts, I know that in WA some School Laboratory Technicians have science degrees, which may or may not be relevant, some are qualified as teachers, some have TAFE qualifications and others have no formal qualifications at all yet years of experience, others have no lab background at all. Schools in remote areas have great difficulties finding suitable applicants to fill the position.

In WA we have 2 great support networks for School Laboratory Technicians: in DET schools it is via the Regional Technicians Group and for Independent Schools it is via LABNETWEST. The Regional Technicians provide initial and ongoing training for School Laboratory Technicians in their system. In the Independent schools, individual schools employ School Laboratory Technicians at their discretion. LABNETWEST provides opportunities for ongoing Professional Development for its members.

My understanding is that in WA most DET schools’ School Laboratory Technicians are paid at level 1 (being the lowest level of pay), a few at level 2 and only the Regional Technicians at level 3. In the Independent schools, it is by individual negotiation. Most are probably on level 3 and a few are on level 4. I don’t know how many would be at level 1 or 2.

Some school administrations employ people, without the appropriate training because they either don’t know what the job entails or because they cannot find an appropriately trained person. When I was chairman of LABNETWEST, I would frequently get Bursars, Heads of Science and School Laboratory Technicians, asking me what the minimum requirements for a School Laboratory Technicians is; a standard duty statement; as well as “The formula” for number of School Laboratory Technicians hours required.

It appears to be a similar cry across Australia that we would like our pay and conditions to appropriately reflect the expertise that we need to do our job well.
The raising of the profile and standard of Lab Technician will be of ongoing benefit to Science Education in Australia.

Ultimately
I would really like to see School Laboratory Technicians
a) Raise their level of professionalism
b) Be appropriately trained
c) Be informed about opportunities to obtain qualifications
a. Through university/TAFE courses
b. based on skills recognition,
c. through on the job training
d) Have access to these opportunities
e) Have more opportunities for promotion through classification levels

I would like to see school administrations
a) Recognise the need to have suitably trained lab technicians, with appropriate minimum qualifications.
b) Have Duty Statements for School Laboratory Technicians
c) Have minimum guidelines for appropriate staffing levels and
d) Both encourage and support (financially) lab techs to have ongoing training and PD
e) Reward lab techs with better pay and conditions according to their qualifications and experience. :!:
MichPull
State/Location: QLD

All the responsbility without the recognation

Post by MichPull »

As a laboratory assistant with a honours degree in science I find that school officers (our title in QLD) within science are treated in many cases as glorified cleaners.
My pay scale is very low and on top of that according to the business office I am only a teachers aid.
Given the amount of paperwork and knowledge we have to undertake, eg chemical storage, risk assessments and equipment repair we are given little recognatoin for the additional resposability this places on us.
Inderpendent of the low pay scale we recieve, in my experience I have to defend and justify any extra time I may need to work out side of term time, in many cases because even the HOD has no real understanding of what I do.
Robb

Job Description

Post by Robb »

Just to re-iterate your post subject Michelle, I have a double degree in Chemistry and Physics and it really is an insult to qualifications relating to Salary outcomes.

As I mentioned in my previous “post” that I understand the laboratory assistants/technicians/managers that are already working in science also do wonderful and often extremely busy job.

For the amount of workload that is often bestowed upon us, besides the current work activities we already carryout, there should be some justification somewhere here as well.

Everyone here on this great forum will agree that even from our perspective the work we carry out often goes unrewarded.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
chemical
Job Title: SASS
School: Karabar High
Suburb: Queanbeyan

Post by chemical »

Yes after starting at a NSW high school I cant agree more. I have had to wait so far 5 weeks for the dept to get my clearance right and who know when the pay will come. But I am the only lab assistant for a high school of 700 + and learning fast. I dont have experience in science but I have given it a go. I hope that I will be paid more that a Special teacher aide. So remember you labbs you are a great team and without us the science dept would die.
miriam
State/Location: TAS

Re: Job Description

Post by miriam »

We are paid at a higher rate in Tas than the office staff, but I'm not in the know as to the exact difference. The Dept of Education has a standard job description for anyone applying for a school lab job, which I'm pretty sure this has been worked on by members of the Tas Lab Tech's Association. It includes a knowledge of OH&S as applied to the school lab job. Now the pre-requisite for anyone new applying is a Diploma of Lab Technology (TAFE) or equivalent.

The Lab Technician's Association & Aus Education Union reps working for several years with Dept of Education, recently worked out a formula for number of lab tech hours to students (came into force from late 2006). It's approx 500 students = 1 full time technician. You are doing well if you are on your own in a school of over 700. Congratulations!

Regards,
Miriam
miriam

Post by miriam »

That's shocking!
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

There is actually a % in place of what allocation Science should get in the way of assistants relative to the number of students. Same with library/Home Economics etc Be mindful it could be 1.5 (a helper half of the working week + a full timer) or something similar. It's not something the office generally lets be known as I've said elsewhere they like the hours for themselves not the outer areas of SASS. A school of 1,500 students should definantly have an additional assistant in place.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
miriam

Post by miriam »

I was told at a high school near here with 1200 students that they have only 1.75 lab tech positions (1 full time plus 2 part timers up to the 0.75) and that that's the maximum lab tech allowance that the Ed Dept here will give any school.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

We have an enrollment of a fair bit more than that (we are a community school K - yr12) and I'm it + I am the farm assistant also! I should clone myself. It's what works in your school. It will be apparent if you are not coping with your workload to your head of department and it's up to them to put forward the case to higher up for allocation of funding. If not it then becomes an OH&S issue if your health suffers and a union issue if you are unfairly treated in regard to individual workload.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I have been re-labelled this year.
I am no longer Laboratory Assistant.
I am Support Services.
Neat, huh?
Same job- new handle 8-)
smiley

Post by smiley »

I have a friend who is blind. Over the years, she has been Blind, Visually Handicapped, Visually Impaired, & Visually Challenged, but every day, when she gets up in the morning she tells me that whatever the label, she still can't see!

Cheers, K 8-)
Wiesia

Post by Wiesia »

Hi,
To me it is more than obvious that with all the requirements of OH&S it should be unlawful to work in science without qualification ... in science. Ok, experience is great thing. But, do one has to get burn itelf first to know better. Well, for keeping it low pay and unaware still is the practice. Where is OH&S here for the start I can't stop wandering?
Wiesh
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

You do not need qualifications of any sort to be affected or to have a working practical knowledge of OH&S! It covers every single workplace and public place in Australia. Does every Australian have 'qualifications? Your view is very different to the governing body in the NSW Workcover Authority. I know some extremely highly qualified teaching/science/laboratory staff that are the most accident prone of Gods creatures ever to walk the earth. Qualifications doesn't equal common sense. Experience will tell you that.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Wiesia

Post by Wiesia »

Ok, so lets drive the car first then get the licence next. Does the licence stop the accident? Pobably not for some accident prone...
Wiesh
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

No, but commonsense and experience will. How could our employer possibly fill every prep. room in every school & TAFE in NSW or Australia with qualified staff? Many are undertaking certificate 3 in Science but it certainly isn't mandatory. Now don't get me wrong, safety is everything in what we do but for everyone to have a degree or diploma, well that will never happen. I'm undertaking the TAFE course myself. Every day I learn something new as do some of my friends with decades of laboratory experience, but I do work with Workcover NSW inspectors on behalf of the DET for our properties and I have 12 years on schools OH&S committees so I know a lot of what are issues. I may not be qualified as yet but I believe my knowledge will keep me in good sted with whatever my faculty throws at me. Be the best you can possibly be whatever your background.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F