Radioactive Rocks

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
caitlinr
Job Title: Science Lab Technician
School: St Paul's College Kempsey
State/Location: NSW

Radioactive Rocks

Post by caitlinr »

Hi All,
I have just started working as a lab technician and have been placed in a peculiar situation involving WHS and radioactive rocks. Apparently these rocks have been present in the school since its inception (which is a long time!). however, we recently discovered the rocks were once kept in the prep room in a wooden box (useless in protection). Since then the rocks have been moved into the chem storeroom andplaced in a steel box. however, we pulled the geiger counter and it is still emitting radioactive emissions (less than the wooden box though).
Does anybody know of a better storage solution? Or whether it is worthwhile to get rid of it (as it is very rarely used), and how we would get rid of it appropriately?
We have looked into a lead box, but it also has its own risks, and considering I am a very young woman it is concerning that both have reproductive implications.

:-?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Radioactive Rocks

Post by Labbie »

Air tight plastic container would be the way to go. Store in an area will away from your Chemicals. Get rid of them 1st, trying to find a company, 2nd, there is'nt one. Perhaps Lucas centre can help in some way?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

What do your Physics and Chem teachers say about the risks? Radioactive materials are way outside my skill set. You need to establish what risks there are with storing or handling these items. Then consider the likelihood. i.e. do a risk assessment.
If keeping them on site is a high risk that can't be controlled, you need to eliminate them i.e. dispose of them. There must be someone who can help with this. Does your CEO (assuming you are in the Catholic system) have a WHS compliance team? Contact them either directly or through your WHS committee.
If you have to store them, I would consider the lead container. Although lead is a high risk, you can mitigate some of the risk by wearing gloves when handling the container. Just being in a room with lead won't cause a problem, but, I guess, there is potential for harm by being in a room with a radioactive substance. It also sounds like once it is packed away, you won't be touching it again. Could you get someone else to handle it for you?
This is a problem where you definitely need to reach out to someone with greater control over the situation. Don't ever think you have to problem solve everything for yourself. Us labbies are good, but we are not that good!
Rowanne
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St Joseph's School Port Lincoln
State/Location: SA

Post by Rowanne »

https://www.arpansa.gov.au/sites/defaul ... /rps18.pdf
I don't know if this link will help. It has lots of info about safe use, storage and disposal of radiation sources in an education setting.
Its an large, older document and I don't know if it has been superseded but contains lots of info.
Last year the senior physics teacher asked if I could get him some radiation sources. I sent him this document and haven't heard anything about it since.
As far as disposal goes if the radiation levels are still above what is acceptable to dispose of in general rubbish (Pg25 plus table 3 on page 12), you could try and contact the closest hospital that does radio therapy? and see if they have a disposal company they could share with you ?
I would definitely be contacting your school WHS officer about it.
good luck
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

Storing radioactive rocks can be easy if you know how 'hot' they are. For example a granite kitchen bench is radioactive also. So you need to consider if you are reading the levels appropriately. Like above I would read through the arpransa doc and also contact them if unsure. Low level radiation disks and rocks can be discarded in general rubbish.

We have some 'hot' rocks at school which I received from the Uni and have all their assays so know exactly what is being emitted. They sit in a tub in the lab, they make the Geiger counters go crazy which scares everyone, but really they are low. Mind you I do not store all together, they are spread out around the school. Most have a lower level of radiation emitted than living in a high naturally occurring radioactive environment like Finland.

Don't be scared of NORM's, read up about them, it's really very interesting.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I want some. My radioactive sources freaked me out when I first started so I contacted the Melb Uni, some boffins came and took them away. Now all I have is smoke alarms and the residual readings from dirt etc. It is worth studying what strength and sort of radioactive waves/isotopes you have. Most are harmless and occur in all sorts of things. Bananas emit .01 millirem of radiation for example. (Because of Potassium).
sherryc
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: Mudgee High

Post by sherryc »

We had some talc, serpentine & radioactive sources to be disposed of.... I used a company called Environmental Treatment Solutions. Phone
M: 0417 657 597 Mick O'Dell. E: michaelo@envirotreat.com.au
they took everything away, no trouble & very good to deal with. Hope this helps.