LPG limits

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

LPG limits

Post by Kathryn »

Hi
I've just completed the chemical audits for all the rest of the school. The TAS department has increased their LPG from what they used to store. Can anyone tell me what the limits are for LPG onsite before a special license is required?
Thanks
Kathryn :D
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: LPG limits

Post by Merilyn1 »

In NSW, Schedule 11 of the WHS Regulations has the placard and manifest amounts. It will take a bit more reading but if in doubt, send an email to Safework NSW. They're really helpful.
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

This is from CSIS

Class 2.1 - Flammable gases
●300 kg of LP gas when connected for use (e.g. to a stove or heater). The licence for LPG tanks on DET school sites is part of the maintenance contract administered by Properties Directorate.
●150 kg of LPG not connected for use (reserve cylinders, reserve gas fuel cylinders).
●60 cubic metres of compressed gas (e.g. acetylene, hydrogen) i.e. up to 8 `G' size cylinders.
●A licence is not required for aerosols of Class 2.1 or 2.2 or for any quantity of LPG kept in disposable containers (if the containers are not more than 1 litre capacity and are not refillable).
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you AnnNos very much.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Does that mean we don't need to worry about the 100 spray paint cans in Visual Arts?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Kathryn, as you're not in a DET school, be very careful following CSIS. The only CSIS package we have access to is the printed copy which is very out of date. Your reference should be the legislation. I haven't had time to compare CSIS and the Regs, so I'm not sure how different, if different at all.
However, you no longer need to apply for a licence, but do need to notify Safework NSW if you have above the manifest amounts.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Thanks for your comments. I can not find any mention of limits on the Safework website so have sent them an email - I'll let you know when and if I hear back from them. I'm sure we are well within limits but it would be nice to have that confirmed.
linotas2
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas2 »

The limits are stated in the Australian standard relating to Hazardous chemical storage. There is an appendix stating how much of each hazard classes.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

It is probably the same list that is in the WHS Regs. Kathryn - they will get back to you. Often instead of replying by email they will call you it can take 24 to 48 hours, but they have always replied to my emails.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

As expected we are nowhere near the limits of what we can store onsite without having to notify Safework. However, it is great to have this confirmed in writing. See attached the limits for NSW - other states may differ.

Kathryn :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I guess Whspa won't need to worry about their 100 aerosol cans!
Thanks for sharing that with us, Kathryn, Safework people have always been helpful when I've contacted them.
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

We always stocktake the whole school and count anything 'chemical'. So now it feels as if we don't need to stocktake the whole school at all. Surely everything used in Art is a 'manufactured product'? And what about the fuels and insect sprays etc that the GA uses? Have we making this way to hard for ourselves?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hi Whspa
I've about to PM you with some info.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

My understanding is we have to do a stocktake and have a record of all hazardous chemicals, easily available incase of fire, but as long as we are below the stated thresholds, we do not have to apply to Safework for a licence. Although it is my least favourite job because it takes so long but no one else in the entire school cares two hoots about it, :( it has actually been beneficial. First few years it was horrendous as there was so much to record. Now both the quantity and variety of chemicals have been reduced and many substituted with less hazardous substances.