Length of Chemical Storage

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
KylaW
Suburb: Penrith
State/Location: NSW

Length of Chemical Storage

Post by KylaW »

Hi,
I am in the process of doing an overhaul of the chemical management at the school I have just began working at.

A lot of chemicals here backdate to the 2000s, some older than 15 years. Coming from an analytical background my initial thought was to dispose of anything older than a few years. But I've realised that purity and age aren't really a concern in secondary school science, and we would be left with barely any stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to approach this?

I was thinking about marking any stock dated prior to a certain year (say, perhaps 2003 or 2008?) and by this time next year if they remain untouched then disposing of them. If I continue this process in years to come then I will always have stock within say, 10 or 15 years old. I'm just not sure what would be an acceptable age for chemicals in schools, and how it would vary depending on their type and use.

Any help appreciated.
Kyla
Ev
State/Location: VIC

Re: Length of Chemical Storage

Post by Ev »

Hi Kyla,

I'm not sure where this document came from
Chemical shelf life.pdf
Regards

Ev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Wow !!!
Leaving Certificate Chemistry - that's like pre-1968.
And...the coloured storage groups

But I guess its a start
Some of my chemicals go wayyy back to Government Stores and Government Supply days and I'm sure haven't been used since then too.
Time for a clearance methinks
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

I'm guessing that's not Australian; dated 2002, but we've never had those colour codes.
But, as you say Marg, a good place to start!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I've got some from Government stores, in pounds they must have bought in bulk. I'm still keeping even if it takes another 20 years to use, if it's a chemical that doesn't go off. Every time the syllabus changes things come in and out of vogue.

It's way to expensive to get it disposed of, would rather spend the money somewhere else.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Same as you macca ,many have dates from the eighties .
Often our Chem teacher will ask for an old jar of copper Nitrate or Sodium Hydroxide that has become liquid just to demonstrate how kept , these chemicals absorb water . Most things can have a purpose even when they no longer serve their original one . These old Chemicals are also handy if a teacher needs a saturated solution ....saves using the good stuff ......... ( insert icon of scabby bastard ) :crazy:
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I still have solid chemicals from the Griffin and George company which started trading in the 1840's. Not sure when they finished, but being the only quaker school in Australia we were/are gifted with lots equipment etc from UK and US quakers coming to Australia.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

We did ours last year - we got rid of heaps some had solidified - decrepit containers - tainted stock - banned in schools ... we did keep items furthest back to 1995 - as it was ok and yes not necessary to have pristine for school science ... Good Luck massive job ...
With thanks Kate :coffee:
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

Restarting an old thread here but was wondering if opinions had changed since last comment?
I've just completed my first chem stock take and noticed a lot of old government stores chemicals. Is it still ok for us to keep these chemicals if I can't find an SDS from the manufacturer? I've printed out SDS's from other sources instead.
We have a chemical collection scheduled for next month and thought it might be a good opportunity to get rid of some of these old unused chemicals.
An advice would be great, thanks.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Check if they can still be use, some are banned in schools. We still had old government bottle with chemicals in them. They were and still are fine to use.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School

Post by Anna Z »

Hi all, it was my understanding that if you can't find an up to date SDS for them they should probably go. If I can't find a Manufacturers SDS I use the Chewatch Gold SDS and the Department is okay with that. Seriously though I've chucked heaps of chemicals that where years old and never going to be used... reduced the overall risk rating of our Chem Store.
KassH

Post by KassH »

I have used Gold SDS from Chemwatch for these old chemicals. Is that ok?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

If you are not using them, and they haven't been used for a long time, maybe it is time for them to go. You would need to check your school to see what they feel is acceptable for SDSs. The Chemwatch ones may not be suitable. I'd have someone with greater authority make that decision if you are unsure.
KassH

Post by KassH »

Thanks for the advice Merilyn. 😀
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School

Post by Anna Z »

Just thought I'd add to this as we had the issue last year. VIC Gov schools okay with Chemwatch however as your NSW, maybe check their website.

From the Department of education. (Vic)

3.3 ObtainingSafety Data Sheets
The Workplace Manager and/or Management OHS Nominee must ensure a hard copy collection of current Safety Data Sheet (SDS) from the manufacturer or supplier is maintained. Current means first prepared, or reviewed, within the last five years. The SDS obtained for each chemical must be the authorised version prepared by the manufacturer or first supplier with Australian. Where a SDS has not been provided by the manufacturer or supplier, a SDS can be obtained from GoldFFX (ChemWatch).

From Worksafe (Vic)
An employer needs to keep copies of SDSs in a location convenient to the work area in which the substance is used. Employers should also keep SDSs in languages other than English if appropriate. Commercially available SDS databases may be used provided they contain the manufacturer or importing supplier’s current SDSs.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes same as in NSW, Chemwatch was set up for DoE to use.
Regards Labbie

mtg
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

If the chemical is decomposing, unstable, the container is damaged then repackage or get rid of it. Most of our chemicals are older than I would keep in an analytical lab, but due to budget I keep most things if they are useable. I research the chemical, work out why it's there and then I will suggest pracs to use it. if it is a stupid dangerous chemical I wouldn't want my kids exposed to I chuck it. But otherwise I don't throw out anything stable as in the past sooner or later a teacher will want it, usually about 3 months after I threw it out.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Well said MTG I agree
Regards Labbie

mtg
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

Thanks Labbie. Sometimes I worry I'm breaking rules, but there are so many contradictions between states you have to do your own research if time permits.