Hazardous Chemical Register

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: Hazardous Chemical Register

Post by mtg »

I got mine done on the format supplied by Vic Gov site, over the lock down and labelled everything including all my solutions with riskasssess. I blew up the spreadsheets to an A3. I have given up on the rest of the school. I have given them all guidelines. When we fail the chem audit I will be employed extra days to try and sort them. My area is always over 90% perfect...
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

If I don't get them all back, I let management know via the WHS Committee so someone with more responsibility than me is aware of the situation. Bit difficult when one of the offending areas was represented on the committee - I had to be a little more tactful!
I had planned this year on sending an email to any faculties who had not responded, "carefully" detailing the steps they would have to work through to ensure they were complying with legislation. I reckon that would spook them. Can I say I was just a little disappointed that everyone returned their stocktake? I'll keep that plan up my sleeve for future offenders!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Our Principal would give out their last year stocktake at the exec meeting to the head of dept's. And he would follow up if they did not return it to me, by the said date. It did work well.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

I have finally converted to XL .
I started by downloading the Database from Science assist a few years ago , picking and choosing off that to match what we have and have been using Chemwatch simultaneously until now when Chemwatch converted 95% of my manifest to garbage and made it totally unusable .
So now I have stored all my SDS's on the Faculty drive and have a link in the XL Chem Register.
However , as I have been downloading SDS's (Mostly Chemsupply or Merck ), I have found there to be quite a few discrepancies between what is on my Chem register from Science Assist , these, Chemwatch and even Risk assess as regards to GHS and whether a chemical is Hazardous or not .

How can there be such variations ? How can a chemical be Hazardous according to Science assist , Chemwatch and Risk assess while the latest 2020 SDS from two suppliers has it as Not Hazardous ?

If My SDS has it as NoN hazardous , should I then Change ( delete) all the GHS stuff on my register to match what is in the SDS ?
I really don't like removing stuff that someone has deemed Hazardous at some stage for some reason .....but at the same time , i would like the Registers info to reflect the current SDS .
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Ahhh , I just found this on the Assist Spreed sheet .....it kinda explains why ....Assist got their data from Chemwatch .
Details about recommended concentration restrictions, safety and handling information or the nature of the specific chemical. Please refer to the 'Pictograms and Notes' page for the corresponding note.
"This is the classification of the chemical according to the Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals. Unless otherwise stated, the GHS classification data was sourced from Chemwatch GoldFFX, -http://www.<URL removed, see forum rules>/

"
"The classification of a chemical for Australian road and rail transport purposes according to the Australian Dangerous Goods Code. This data was sourced from Chemwatch GoldFFX,
http://www.<URL removed, see forum rules>/"
Indicates the classification of a chemical which is included in the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons (SUSMP). This data was sourced from Chemwatch GoldFFX,
"Indicates whether the chemical is classified as hazardous or non-hazardous according to the National Occupational Health and Safety Commission (NOHSC) Approved Criteria for Classifying Hazardous Substances (2004).
Indicates whether the chemical is classified as a Dangerous Good for Australian road and rail transportation purposes, according to the Australian Dangerous Goods Code.
This information was sourced from Chemwatch GoldFFX,
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I gave up using Chemwatch years ago. I just use ChemSupply for most SDS's now. Their site is user friendly. They have SDS's also from other suppliers that provide them with chemicals. If all else fails the internet can usually provide relevant SDS's for any elusive chemical that can't be pinned down.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

bigmack wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 12:51 Ahhh , I just found this on the Assist Spreed sheet .....it kinda explains why ....Assist got their data from Chemwatch .
Hey Bigmack - the definitive answer is the safety data sheet supplied by the specific manufacturer or supplier for the chemical you have. So if you have a chemical from Chem-supply, you would rely on their SDS, not a SDS produced, for instance, by Ajax-Finechem.

Well done on making the move. My first year here, it took me days and days to do the stocktake using the Chemwatch one as it wasn't in a user friendly order. I now have my stocktakes on a spreadsheet - stocktake done in 15 minutes!
Kathryn
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

I do the chemical registers for the whole school. We have a company trying to persuade us to purchase their software for this (not going to happen) however they are saying there is a $3000 fine for any SDS missing and that things like toner cartridges need to be included. I have never thought about toner cartridges before. Does anyone else include these? I wonder what else I may have missed?
Kathryn :oops:
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Kathryn wrote: 06 May 2021, 10:25 I do the chemical registers for the whole school. We have a company trying to persuade us to purchase their software for this (not going to happen) however they are saying there is a $3000 fine for any SDS missing and that things like toner cartridges need to be included. I have never thought about toner cartridges before. Does anyone else include these? I wonder what else I may have missed?
Kathryn :oops:
I am not sure where I read it, but "somewhere" I read that for household products that are used for their intended purpose do not need SDS but if they are being used for a different purpose then they do. So for example, vinegar in the food tech room for cooking doesn't need one but vinegar used as acetic acid in experiments for science does need one. Same for detergents. If they are just used for washing dishes then they don't need one. I would imagine toner cartridges would be the same. I wish I could remember where I read it. I will have a look for it if I get a chance.

Having said that, our SDS folders have EVERYTHING in them, including detergents, and also for every concentration of the same chemical. It was done before I started but I am hoping to not have to update all of those every year. I have just looked for toner in our whole school register and it is not there so you are not the only one not to include it! We also have a non-hazardous SDS folder because unless you have the SDS you can't prove it's not hazardous and doesn't need one...
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Copied From https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sd ... afety-data

"Keeping copies of safety data sheets
Businesses must keep copies of SDS for chemicals they use and they must be readily accessible for all workers involved in using, handling or storing the chemical at the workplace, emergency service workers, and anyone else who may be exposed to the chemical.

The model WHS Regulations do not require businesses to obtain and give access to SDS when:

Hazardous chemicals are in transit.
The business is a retailer and the hazardous chemical is a consumer product and intended for supply and not to be opened on the premises.
The hazardous chemical product is a consumer product used in quantities and a manner that is consistent with household use.
However, in these circumstances businesses must still make sure that sufficient information and instruction is provided to workers and this may involve having accessible SDS.

More information about keeping SDS and a register of hazardous chemicals at a workplace is available under the hazardous chemical registers page."
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Copied from: https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/do ... fact-sheet

"Consumer products are those that are packed primarily for use by a household consumer and are used in a manner consistent with normal household use. For example, laundry detergent packed in a 1 kg container and used once a week by individual staff for washing work clothes is considered a consumer product and would not need to be included on the register. However, a 30 kg container of the same detergent used by a commercial laundering business is not considered to be a consumer product, and therefore must be included on the register.
Consumer products also include hazardous chemicals used in an office, for example printer toner and whiteboard cleaners."
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

I'm currently doing the school stock take now to get a head start on it, and even if something is not hazardous or a DG product I still just keep a copy of it. Just a habit really.
It takes twice as long now because of all the extra hand sanitisers and disinfectants in every staff room and store rooms.

I have a question regarding the hard copies.
Is it our responsibility to print the other faculties SDS's and have them in a folder and give to them?
They have access to the soft copies so if they wanted them the are available, but my understanding is we keep hard copies of science.
Thanks
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

If you are DoE school yes, but others I am not sure off.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

To offer some relief - under legislation, the chemical register only needs to include hazardous chemicals. Of course, the problem is the definitive answer is on the safety data sheet. Up to you what you do with these non-hazardous SDSs. For Science, I do include hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals, as much for me so I know what we have on hand.

Rosalie, you are right, consumer products do not need to be included unless they are used contrary to the label.

You only need to include the "parent" chemical, not the solutions you have made from it e.g. include NaOH but not the solutions you make yourself. The exception would be if you make up a solution and it is stored elsewhere in your school - Safework will need to know. Using the NaOH example, you don't need to include the solutions you make up BUT if you purchased 1M NaOH, you would include that on the Register.

And Emma - it is each supervisor/coordinator/manager whatever, to be aware of the chemicals they have stored. I feel it should be them, or someone from that area, doing their stocktakes. By doing this, they may actually throw out the stuff they are no longer using (my theory).
The hard copy -v- soft copy argument: the law says that SDSs must be available to all workers who use or handle the chemical. Safework Australia does say that an electronic copy is sufficient. But you need to consider if those staff have access to the e-copies at all times. I have gone with a hybrid system here. All SDSs are stored on our server and on our Google Drive account. I have printed hard copies and put into a folder for each faculty.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Thanks Merilyn! Would you consider the disinfectants and hand sanitisers to also be consumer products? I would think that they shouldn't need to have SDS unless there is a large quantity stored on site.
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

Thanks Merilyn, I'm here to help out (been here for 4 years now) in science, so its been given to me to complete which I don't mind.
Yes they all have access to it. I think I will just print out science faculty.

Yes DoE here,
Thanks again
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

RosalieL wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:14 Thanks Merilyn! Would you consider the disinfectants and hand sanitisers to also be consumer products? I would think that they shouldn't need to have SDS unless there is a large quantity stored on site.
This will sound odd, but this was advice direct from Safework NSW a couple of years ago:
If the item is purchased in small quantities and is used in accordance with the label, it does not need to go onto the Chemical Register even if it is hazardous. The item should still be stored correctly, e.g. out of reach of children, away from naked flame etc. If the item was purchased in bulk i.e. a carton from a supplier, then it must be included on the register. Of course, if the item is non-hazardous then there is no requirement to include it on the register regardless of quantity purchased.

I've always found Safework really helpful. Definitely worthwhile calling them if you need help.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Merilyn1 wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:42
RosalieL wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:14 Thanks Merilyn! Would you consider the disinfectants and hand sanitisers to also be consumer products? I would think that they shouldn't need to have SDS unless there is a large quantity stored on site.
This will sound odd, but this was advice direct from Safework NSW a couple of years ago:
If the item is purchased in small quantities and is used in accordance with the label, it does not need to go onto the Chemical Register even if it is hazardous. The item should still be stored correctly, e.g. out of reach of children, away from naked flame etc. If the item was purchased in bulk i.e. a carton from a supplier, then it must be included on the register. Of course, if the item is non-hazardous then there is no requirement to include it on the register regardless of quantity purchased.

I've always found Safework really helpful. Definitely worthwhile calling them if you need help.
So if they purchase 24x 250ml hand sanitisers in January it goes on the register but if they purchase 2x 250ml per month it doesn't? Yep, that makes government sense :crazy:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I'm guessing they have to draw a line in the sand somewhere which does make it sound a bit odd. All I know is suddenly I wasn't chasing SDSs for fly spray anymore - always guaranteed that every person would buy a different brand!
And don't bother with school paints, PVA glue as they are all non-hazardous.
Kathryn
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

I have a soft copy SDS for hand sanitiser and list it in the register. However I don't provide a copy of the SDS in every classroom. For things like flyspray, I now choose to have the SDS for one brand and let that cover all brands. I can't see I am ever going to get staff to only purchase one brand. I have certainly simplified down what I used to do in the first few years when we were basically told we had to have MSDS for absolutely everything.
Kathryn