Hazardous Chemical Register

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Hazardous Chemical Register

Post by Merilyn1 »

Kathryn wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:12 I have a soft copy SDS for hand sanitiser and list it in the register. However I don't provide a copy of the SDS in every classroom. For things like flyspray, I now choose to have the SDS for one brand and let that cover all brands. I can't see I am ever going to get staff to only purchase one brand. I have certainly simplified down what I used to do in the first few years when we were basically told we had to have MSDS for absolutely everything.
Kathryn
For the hand sanitiser: upload a digital copy to a folder that all staff can access or share it from your cloud. Make sure you let all staff know where to find it - also a good time to remind them that alcohol hand sanitisers are hazardous and must be treated as such.

For the flyspray: As it is a consumer product, you do not have to include it on the register. Exception would be if your school is buying it in by the carton, then it would have to go on the register as it is no longer considered a consumer product.
labbassistant
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

Hi All,

So I'm trying to complete the chemical stocktake, (I did most of it in term 2, so I know it worked) and now that I've logged back in on the work computer after having it updated, the CSIS excel program won't run the stocktake.
Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone still use the CSIS CD program for excel?

Currently on the phone to ED connect trying to find an answer.

Any help is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

I have to redo our digital copy of the chemical register from scratch :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: Any tips on how to go about this? Things to avoid? I’d love to learn from other’s mistakes or brilliant ideas! I any recommendations of places to find the exact way to set one up? I still have the printed copy to go from but I just thought I should make sure I’m doing it right instead of potentially copying someone else’s mistakes or re-doing something that’s out of date. The safe work info sheet is from 2012. Is that the most recent info? (the link is in a previous comment of mine in this post).

Send chocolate! :cheesy: :crazy:

Edit: I am in a private school so no access to DET databases
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

You'll find that we nearly all have the same chemicals so I'd suggest get a copy of someone else's , that will save you a ton of work , then change it to suit your personal situation .
The one I have was originally downloaded from Science assist website . The info in it was derived from Chemwatch , but most of it is fairly accurate .
As I get new Chemicals I modify it to suit the SDS .Happy to Email you it if you are interested . I can give you the original from Science assist and my version .
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Thank you bigmack! That would be great! I will pm you my email address
ottenc
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Leighland Christian School
State/Location: TAS

Post by ottenc »

Doing my first chemical audit this year 🤷‍♀️
To be honest, I have a general idea what I'm doing, but my predecessor was the first to do an official audit for the school and included EVERYTHING!! Under the recommendation of our auditor, I have updated our printed SDS collection to the 'mini' or 'summary' SDS available from ChemWatch, and kept the vendor/Gold version on ChemWatch (and threw out 42 D ring binders worth of paper in the process 🤣). But reading through these, we have SDS's for distilled water, and coloured pencils. It's just ridiculous. And the volumes haven't been properly recorded. She has recorded the size of the container (eg. 500g bottle of solid potassium permanganate) but now how many bottles we currently have in stock.
I'm currently trying to read through legislation and rules in the 'Model Work Health and Safety Regulations' handbook, but could use some advice. Particularly on how to convince head office that it's not necessary! I don't want to audit every individual spice in the cooking room!
I work for an independent school if that helps
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Different states will have slightly different requirements but you might be able to find a code of practice (COP) from your Safework (or whatever Tas calls them) on the handling of hazardous chemicals.
The thing to note here is the term "hazardous". The Chemical Register (in NSW) is a register of all hazardous chemicals, used, stored or handled on-site. You do not have to include non-hazardous chemicals. There is also (in NSW) provision for "consumer products" which are hazardous products purchased in small quantities that will be used in accordance with the label - these do not have to be included.
The COP will clearly state what is required in a register and the times when you would need to have a manifest which is a much more detailed document when storing large quantities, not usually required for schools.
As for the quantity, it is accepted to show the maximum quantity on hand, so if you have a 500g container that is only 25% full, you still count it as 500g. Multiple containers would need to be counted. Remember, we are in a school where the quantities we keep are pretty small in comparison to other industries so a rough amount it fine for most things we have.
Interesting comment that the auditor told you to print off the mini-SDS. Legislation here clearly states that the SDS must be from the manufacturer or supplier. There is no mention that SDSs from third parties, in any form, are acceptable. And don't get me started on Chemwatch - I stopped using it years ago!
Finally, I expect each faculty to complete their own stocktake each year but I assist by updating SDSs and compiling the whole school register. I don't go into individual areas.
labbassistant
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

I'm curious, when you ask for their stock-take, do they just say to you "its the same as last year"? Or have they actually done a stock-take?
There are 2 of us here and I have been asked to do the stock-take and I go to the faculties and record everything and come back and enter the data on my computer. If it was just one of us (which it was for years) we ask them to record it and send to us, but are usually met with "its the same as last year"
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

If that's what they tell me, that's what I run with. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the coordinator for that area to keep a register of their hazardous chemicals not mine. I am just doing them a favour by helping out.
This year I have taken on the role of WHS Officer for the college. My plan is to do random checks from time to time on hazardous chemical handling and storage. ie Is everything listed? Is it stored correctly? Do they have the PPE? Spill kits? And so on. I think if I do a few of those, they might be more careful than just saying "it's the same as last year".
But in fairness, I know our Food Tech assistant does buy the same products each time to make it easier for me! The college also buys a lot of cleaning products in bulk that are then decanted (into labelled bottles, of course) and this does add to the "same as last year" response.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

We also get "the same as last year" response from our cleaners and canteen (we don't have food tech). I have done the spot checks...and yep, it's all the same :) . I just keep a eye on their SDS's and print off updated versions if they are expired or something changes. Like above they always buy the same stuff so it's easy.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Finally getting started on my new digital chemical register... if the company that supplied the chemical doesn't have an updated sds (last update was 2012) can you use any other company or does it need to be a generic chemwatch one? I would rather not navigate chemwatch!
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Also, do you put the hazardous classifications on the register?

Eg for Aluminium Sulphate, what, if any, of the following information do you include?

GHS classification of the substance/mixture: Eye Damage/Irritation: Category 1, Corrosive to Metals: Category 1

Signal Word (s): DANGER

Hazard Statement (s): H290 May be corrosive to metals.H318 Causes serious eye damage.

Pictogram (s): Corrosion

Precautionary statement – Prevention: P234 Keep only in original container. P280 Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face
protection.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

I copied the one from Science assist . It had all that stuff in it Rosalie, so I have continued to use that format . The stuff that was in the Science Assist Register was gleaned from Chemwatch . As I replace Chems , I check and modify to comply with the specific SDS I have .

But to comply with Regulations , you don't need to have the GHS info in your Register AFAIK.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Thanks bigmack - yeah I looked at yours that you sent me earlier in the year and decided it would be easier to create my own as our school just uses googledocs now. The example from worksafe was very basic! Schools don't seem to fit in any of the search categories on the worksafe website. The printed copy I have has all those GHS things in it too.

Are we still supposed to store things according to their DGC? Does anyone have that on their register?
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Yes and Yes
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

As echoed above. Our register has DG class on it, no GHS. All chemicals MUST be stored by DG class.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Chemical/Substance, Supplier/Brand/Manufacturer, Maximum Quantity, Hazardous/Non-Hazardous, DG Class/Packing Group, Storage Location, SDS Issue Date, Link to SDS

These are my column headings. Is there anything I'm missing that I should include? Thanks for the help so far. I am just wanting to get it right from the start so I don't have to redo it. The printed one we have has way too much detail in my opinion.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

RosalieL wrote: 02 May 2022, 09:34 Chemical/Substance, Supplier/Brand/Manufacturer, Maximum Quantity, Hazardous/Non-Hazardous, DG Class/Packing Group, Storage Location, SDS Issue Date, Link to SDS

These are my column headings. Is there anything I'm missing that I should include? Thanks for the help so far. I am just wanting to get it right from the start so I don't have to redo it. The printed one we have has way too much detail in my opinion.
That'a pretty much what I have, Rosalie. The requirement for a chemical register is a list of chemicals, along with a copy of the relevant SDS, although it is prudent to show where the chemicals are stored. Anything else is entirely up to you.

For your other questions, yes, my chemicals are stored according to their dangerous goods classification as it clearly shows the segregation requirements. Otherwise, legally, you need to store it according to the storage requirements in the SDS. The DG class is usually the same information just a bit clearer except for corrosive acids and bases, the DG will only state DG 8 (corrosive) and you need to investigate a bit further to determine if it is an acid or a base.

Expired SDSs - if the company still exists, contact them directly for an updated SDS. If they no longer exist, technically, you should dispose of the product and purchase new. This is definitely, especially true with products for which have a specific blend of ingredients e.g. flyspray, paint etc. Another product will have different constituents and the SDS will not be relevant. You may get away with a different SDS for a single, pure, chemical, e.g. sodium hydroxide. I say may, because you aren't complying with the legislation but an auditor or inspector *may* overlook this. That is a matter for yourself.

Hope this helps
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

I have 2 additional columns on mine, we have added for ease of auditing and process improvement initiatives.

1. Risk assessment (High/Medium/Low) - We risk Assess every chemical before it arrives on site and I am going through slowly over time doing what was here. Happy to share my RA document if you need, note it is not your standard school RA software. It's a chemical RA.
2. Administration - In here I put any document numbers that relate to that chemical , examples are the Chemical Risk Assessment number, any procedure numbers that relate to it.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Are normal batteries meant to be included on the register? I'm assuming not because they're sealed. I tried looking it up and all I found out was that acid batteries in machinery didn't need to be included (so by assumption if they are stored on a shelf then they do?) but nothing about normal batteries eg D and C cells.