Artificial Ore

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Artificial Ore

Post by judygee »

Dear All - Have any others made artificial ore - this is a first for me! I have a recipe - Sand, Copper sulphate and marble chips embedded in Plaster. However I am not sure what Plaster - Plaster of Paris? Plasticine? Any one help?
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Artificial Ore

Post by kimmy »

The Recipe that we use is
Sand
Copper sulphate
marble chips
Plaster of Paris

This works great for us.

A tip is when almost set make an indent into the size squares that youwant and this makes for much easier breaking when it has set.

Good Luck
judygee

Artificial Ore.

Post by judygee »

Thanks Kim, you are a gem. You've gotta love this site!!! Cheers. Judy.
MichPull
State/Location: QLD

Artifical ore to be eaten.

Post by MichPull »

Hello,

When we do earth science and the teachers want artifical ore we make up a version with choclate and lollies. Works as well as the other version and the studnts can eat it after.

Regards
Michelle
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Artificial Ore

Post by rae »

Dear Michpull

Do you melt the chocolate and put the lollies in that??
What do the kids use to do their mining??

Another interesting prac for earth science is the mining of chocolate chips out of chocolate chip biscuits ! The kids get an amount of "money" out of which the have to buy their mining lease and their mining equipment( tooth picks, probes,etc) They put the biscuit mine on grid paper and then mine the choc chips. Any area of the grid paper that has crumbs on it they have to reclaim/ restore at the end and this comes out of their profits from the choc chips. The kids really enjoyed this.

Lorrae 8-)
MichPull
State/Location: QLD

Choc ore

Post by MichPull »

Hello,

Yes we melt the choclate and then add different lollies to represent different components of the soil, eg cut up red frogs for metals, molteasers for fossels.

The students mine the chocloate with tooth picks, butter knifes and if they ask we have little hammers to pounding the rock.

Disposal of the slag is not a problem.

Regards
Michelle
Rita

Re: Artificial Ore

Post by Rita »

Good Morning Everyone,
what a way to start the day.....Hot Water Service leaked over the weekend...pools of water in three rooms.
Now this.... I have prepared ore with Copper Sulphate....my question is .... what acid should we use? We use Sulphuric when using Copper Carbonate. Haven't got enough Copper Carbonate hence the use of Copper Sulphate?
Thanks in advance
Rita