GHS Labelling and frustrations with Chemwatch

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

GHS Labelling and frustrations with Chemwatch

Post by Merilyn1 »

I am getting more and more frustrated with Chemwatch. When I do a search for a chemical, the one I want can be miles down the list. I have tried contacting them but they tell me it works fine - except 2% is not the same as 2M!

I am mostly using Chemwatch (Gold FFX) for labelling to comply with GHS requirements. I am thinking of moving the manifest to a spreadsheet and not using Chemwatch for that. What I am wondering, is there other options for labelling? What are other people doing? I know we still have sometime before labels need to comply with GHS, but I want to get started on it now rather than creating a big job later.
superbug

Re: GHS Labelling and frustrations with Chemwatch

Post by superbug »

when I use chemwatch label or chemical search. As I type in the search box I wait and a drop down box appears, which I then use to get a more specific answer.
What chemical are you looking for? See if I can find it.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I'm just having a general rant. I'm sure the older versions were a bit easier when doing searches. I'll try to get it to give me a drop down menu - that doesn't always seem to happen. Thanks for the response so quickly.
superbug

Post by superbug »

so if you are searching for NACl 2%. type in sodium chloride 2 and then stop and a drop down box should pop up, it may take a while to load as it searches all database. But I know what you mean. It is not as specific as before, as it suggests other chemicals with sodium or chloride in the name as well as anything with a 2 in it. but this search drop box does help a bit.

hope its all ok for you.
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

Has anyone else had trouble bringing up the labels on chemwatch gold ffx in the last 2 days? It doesn't seem to be working at all for me (14 per page GHS) :-(
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

press CTR F5 to refresh, clear the cookies at least once a week
Cheers Jazz
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

HOW HARD can it be? I put Hydrochloric acid 1M into the search bar - and got 28 pages of results not one was what I asked for!
superbug

Post by superbug »

I wait till the drop down box appears (as I'm typing) and then I make my selection.

I typed in
hydrocloric acid 1m (then a space after the m) and found it immediately in the drop down box.

and I try to choose the one with some code numbers or word after the product name from the drop down box.

I hope you can understand what I mean!
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

CTR F5 seemed to be the trick for me :D Thanks Jazz
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

If you look up ASSIST ( Australian school science information support for Teachers and Technicians) , this is a new website that was released this year and is building. They can help and I know that labels is a priority for them to sort out so we can use there site once it's complete. England has this running and is very successful. I go to this and ASSIST site to help me out when I'm at a stand still.
AmandaDLG
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Merrylands High School
Suburb: Merrylands

Post by AmandaDLG »

YEAH Im glad its not just me having trouble getting label's off chemwatch
Amanda :coffee:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

To get back on my soapbox about Chemwatch - late last year I printed off labels for 1M HCl and was surprised to find they had no warnings or hazardous goods symbol.
I have just printed the same label again, and guess what? It now carries a warning banner and corrosive symbol. It concerns me that there are other labels that are incorrect. I have just sent Chemwatch a message, but I usually find I don't get far with this. :banghead:

All I can say, is if you have printed their 1M HCl, I'd suggest you check them. Also if there are any other labels with limited information on them I guess it would be worthwhile trying to check if they are accurate. I only have access to the old CSIS package but am cross referencing with Riskassess.

And, yes just got the reply from Chemwatch - 1M should have the warning and maybe I was printing a lower molarity :banghead: :banghead:
superbug

Post by superbug »

hi all, I just thought I would check the info on my 1M HCL after Merilyn1's comment. So I typed in HCL 1M and of course a whole list of chemicals turn up. So I decide to check a couple of different HCL 1M and discover that they all have varying info on the labels. some are blank whilst others have a warning symbol. So confusing!!!!
Now I am unsure as to which is right.
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by Vick »

Wondering if someone from a NSW DEC school who uses Chemgold III can please help me. Last term when I had to print off a chemical label I was able to click on the label (PDF) to copy it and then I would paste it to a word document. I was then able to manipulate the label and walk to the photocopy room to print it in colour.

This doesn't seem to be the case now. It tells me to print from a PDF, but I am unable to save it as a PDF. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

yes - this is the programme - the way it now works.
I have my own system where I have a label temple on a word document, then - before you select 'print' on chemwatch, use your cursor and select small areas - copy then paste onto the template in word document.. I know it is slow but it works!
I have found it easier if you already have a label in place on the page - another chemical - and just paste over the existing elements.
I can then insert the coloured dot and format it.
Then I copy this one label down the page, leaving a space between labels.. sometimes you have difficulties when the label seems to spread out to much.. but I fiddle with it.. then I save this onto my computer drive for future use.
not perfect but it works
I do not have to go to chemwatch for any labels now as I have built up my folder to cover all that we use. I do check occasionally to see if they have changed formats and adjust my labels accordingly.
I am frustrated now though as they have put a huge amount o n info in the 'precautionary phrases side of the label [the RHS] and this makes the labels tooo big for a small dropper bottle.
I have covered that issue by putting into the RHS " See Precautionary Statements." . then I put a label on the back of the bottle which only contains the precautionary statements.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Wonder how you will all feel this time next year. When the rest of NSW DEC schools go over to LMBR & SAP, SAP is the ordering system. After reading how you all feel about chemwatch, I can feel a few sleepless nights ahead. We are one of the 229 Pilot schools, that have been doing it all last year.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Currently printing mini sds which I laminate a give out to the chemistry class. How is it when you are searching for a chemical eg magnesium chloride 0.1M and when it gives you the drop down list and you pick the one you want it still gives you a huge list including stuff that isn't even relevant and you still have to search through for the one you want! AAAAGHHH!!!!!!
I don't understand at all!!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I agree Rae, I wish there was a school only list they could have - as schools do not have all those exotic chemicals and are restricted so much.. A school only data base would make our jobs so much easier.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

rae wrote:Currently printing mini sds which I laminate a give out to the chemistry class. How is it when you are searching for a chemical eg magnesium chloride 0.1M and when it gives you the drop down list and you pick the one you want it still gives you a huge list including stuff that isn't even relevant and you still have to search through for the one you want! AAAAGHHH!!!!!!
I don't understand at all!!
Yes it is ridiculous and when searching for 1M HCl I found it on page 3 of the search results! Then as Superbug has added, there are multiple entries, some list it has a hazardous substance and some not! If we get audited and our labels are wrong, I bet Chemwatch won't be around to back us up!

Still frustrated!
kurra

Post by kurra »

Hi, could someone please help me?
Should I be using Chemwatch gold ffx as I am still using Chemgold 3 but I don't seem to be able to login to the ffx site using the same username and password? Maybe I have the wrong site.
Any help would be very much appreciated. I am finding the change over very frustrating with no real direction,
thanks Kim.