Mercurochrome

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
curie
State/Location: NSW

Mercurochrome

Post by curie »

Hi, I've found a bottle of 2% mercurochrome in an old first aid kit. I'm wondering if this stuff is banned in schools. I could not find any info on it in my CSIS (which is admittedly pretty old). I thought I read or heard somewhere that it could no longer be purchased and was no longer made as it was too dangerous. The MSDS I read suggests it's pretty nasty.

I spoke to poisons information and the operator said it wasn't banned, is still used, but probably wasn't included in modern kits, and to maybe talk to a pharmacist.

If anyone has current info in regards to schoolsd I would be grateful.

Thanks.
dime

Re: Mercurochrome

Post by dime »

A local doctor here still recommends it. :?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I remember getting mercurochrome put on grazes when I was little - don't remember any bugs living after that was applied! Ah, the "good" old days... :)
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

We still use mercurochrome at home ("red stuff" as our kids call it) and my Mum used it on us. It works a treat on grazes and cuts or any other dings. I have not long ago bought a new bottle from our local pharmacy. Even the grandkids ask for "red stuff" now.
Somerville
State/Location: VIC

Post by Somerville »

Mercurochrome has trace amounts of mercury so that would be why it is not as popular as it once was. It is no longer available in the U.S for that reason. Kind of makes you think twice about it, but who knows, you can still buy it. I don't know about using it in schools though, not such a good idea.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I can remember painting red "smileys" on kids' knees with it!

Interestingly, a quick trip around Mr G. Oogle shows that it was removed as a precautionary against mercury poisoning, rather than in a response to any recorded episodes.

I also found this : http://ispub.com/IJS/21/2/5354 which compares the efficacy of mercurochrome v a silver based compound.

As well as being a great little study, it is an EXCELLENT example of an abstract, if ever you need to show a Senior student how that is done! :thumbup: Watch out for the photos, though.

So I'd say mercurochrome would be not too bad for occasional scratches, but maybe not great for a skateboarder who regularly grazes himself.
Cheers, K 8-)
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

My husband uses Betadine which looks like Mecurochrome and does the same thing.
lada

Post by lada »

I think betadine is iodine based. It is different to mercurochrome
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

My dad used mercurochrome on me as a kid. Keep in mind I'm only 25! But they still use it at home.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Monkey Blood!