Risk Assessment

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
ottenc
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Leighland Christian School
State/Location: TAS

Re: Risk Assessment

Post by ottenc »

I'd never considered getting the pracs ordered through RiskAssess. That sounds great. At the moment they just stop into my office periodically and tell me which prac they are planning on, and how many groups/students they will have. Most of the pracs are repeated from previous years, so we already have the prior risk assessments and often the practical method on file.
My only issue with this would be that if the prac only required minimal set up (eg. stopwatch and 1m ruler), the teachers will just grab it themselves, meaning they probably still wont do a risk assessment, and I'd have no idea the prac is running
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Post by macca »

Ditto Merilin1

No RiskAssess no prac., it's when I'm away the mice play.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

Really easy for the teachers to order pracs. They can copy an existing prac, make adjustments and schedule the time. They can do this from home or wherever, so it is easier for them - they don't have to remember to tell you.
On the home page of Riskassess is the scheduling section where you can easily see when pracs are happening. Plus it time stamps when the prac was placed so there is no dispute about when the prac was ordered.
ottenc
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Leighland Christian School
State/Location: TAS

Post by ottenc »

macca wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 12:43 Ditto Merilin1

No RiskAssess no prac., it's when I'm away the mice play.
I also don't work full time, so the prac lab/chem store is 'unmanned' at least one day a week (I'm the only labbie on site).

We don't have any issues with 'double booking' labs or even equipment really. The only thing the teachers occasionally argue over are the microscopes. We've had multiple instances in only the last few weeks of the teachers running a microscope prac (complete with knifes and sharp tweezers for cutting samples) with no risk assessments, and I don't even know it's happening until they come to take the trolley the microscopes live on. I just don't know how to get them on board with doing their own risk assessments, and actually having to do one for every prac? :?
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

I'd start by getting the head teacher on board with it, it's then easier to get the others to do it with that support. Emphasise that it's a legal requirement and will cover them in case anything ever goes wrong.