Annual Chemical Stock Take

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Annual Chemical Stock Take

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hi Emma
To help you out a bit more, you only need to include hazardous chemicals on the register, it is okay to include non-hazardous, which I actually do for Science so I know what I have available. I don't get stressed too much about finding SDSs for other faculties for things like student paints, glue etc.
Also, you do not need to include "consumer products" - these are hazardous chemicals that are purchased in small amounts from a local shop and will be used in accordance with the directions on the label. eg if you bought one bottle of hand sanitiser from the supermarket it does not need to be included but if your school bought it in bulk, such as a carton of 12 or whatever, it is not a consumer product. You also need to be confident that it will be used in accordance with the directions, so something that gets used by students may need to be included on the label as we can't predict what they will do with it!
Also, the register only needs to include a list of hazardous chemicals held, where they are stored and a copy of the relevant SDS. That's the minimum, although you may choose to record more information.
These are all legal requirements for NSW, other states may be different.
Happy for you to message me if you need clarification.