Collection of Hazardous waste in NSW

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
dime
State/Location: NSW

Re: Collection of Hazardous waste in NSW

Post by dime »

Makes me realise how lucky we are here. I don't actually know who organises it, but approx each year chemical pickup people come to the Council depot where anyone can take up to 20 litres or 20kg for free! I guess it is mainly aimed at farmers, but I had a wonderful cleanout the first time they came and only went over the limit a little and it cost about $5. The next time, we were well under the limit, so no cost. It is therefore a little surprising that this service is not universal, but as I say maybe it is aimed at farmers.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Darelle, I think there's a separate one aimed at farmers - for collection of old chemical containers - is it called 'Drum Muster'?

The Council collection up here is for household chemical waste, but costs are very small for businesses to take part. That's what we did in '07 - see earlier posts on this subject. I dispatched about 20 boxes of excess chemicals that I couldn't dispose of via landfill, for around $100 (or thereabouts).

In this region, it happens every August/September, with spercial trucks coming up from Sydney, and covering all regional towns in turn.

Contact your local Council for details.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
For all of us in Dept schools a little brid told me that for us we may get a chemical pick up for free from the dept not sure when but the little brid said sometime this year =D> =D> so if you can hold off for a little while as it is a very rich exersice I know #-o #-o #-o
Remember this is only for DEPT SCHOOLS =D> sorry to all the rest :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: .
NOONA =D> =D> =D>
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

I've just been notified this morning that our pickup will occur over the next couple of weeks at a cost of $800 or so. I have my chemicals ready to go but don't know about anyone else here - Industrial Arts , general assistant etc! It's been a long time coming so thanks to those who have pushed it along!
dime

Post by dime »

hi Lizzie
Well the drum muster is actually for clean ex-chemical drums, not the actual chemicals. So they need the other chemical pickup for everyone I guess.
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Yep, that's right, Darelle, thanks.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi!
On the topic of waste disposal, I have a bottle of conc nitric acid with a corroded lid. I have other waste to pick up next week. Should I include this, or try diluting/neutralising it and tip it down the sink? or try to get it into a new bottle? It is a 1 litre bottle.
Same for a 2L of conc H2SO4 battery acid that we dont need...

I also have a couple of litres of metho/kero - can I re use these for anything?

Just trying to reduce waste disposal costs

Thanks
Tina
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Tina,
I reuse metho for cleaning bench tops, rinsing dissection equipment after washing etc. You could probably use them in your spirit burners too. As for the acids, I'll let someone else comment on that!
Rosalie :)
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi Rosalie! :D
my metho has been used for the chorophyll extraction prac., and so is pretty green. Would you still use that in spirit burners, etc?
Thanks
Tina
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

errr... maybe not! I don't know... :-? I don't think we do that prac...
coxy

Post by coxy »

OK, the collection has happened. Pickup was with Transpacific, basic cost for my 5kgs was $166 plus numerous other expenses shared by about 25 schools from Ballina to Bulahdelah. (Approximately $800 all up I think). The pickup guys were polite, friendly, and we actually didn't need to sort anything - they just carried it into the truck in boxes and I signed their form, all done. Arrived, collected, signed all within 4 minutes! Well done.
Krysia Lee
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Waste removal companies

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hi Everyone
I've just had a guy come and collect the waste. I was gobsmacked when my carefully labelled and packed box of flammable liquids in glass bottles was picked up and hurled a great distance into the back of a truck atop a mountain of otto bins. The same company last year sent a bloke with ute to pick a drum with sodium and calcium in it, it was a drizzly afternoon and I watched in horror as he tied it with some rope on the tray of the ute . "Ah its raining and you shouldn't get that wet" says I. "oh okay I'll put it at my girlfriends feet then". Hmmmmm Maybe they were ready to break up or something. So my question is does anyone know a good waste company to use in the Sydney area?
Another huge problem , can anyone tell this computer illerate how to put smilies in the posts, they're so funny.
Thanks for all your help this year
Krysia
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

This thread should help you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
carolmay

Pick up or deliver unknown chemical centre

Post by carolmay »

Hi All,

I am in Kingscliff N.S.W. and could anyone have details of a company who picks up unknown chemicals please.
Thank you.
Labbie

Re: Pick up or deliver unknown chemical centre

Post by Labbie »

Please so a search (top right hand corner) for Chemical waste.
Regards Labbie

curie

Post by curie »

Can anyone direct me to some regs that say how chemicals must be transported and disposed of? (eg licensed contractor, specified vehicle) I know its expensive but I want to make sure it is done safely.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I sent you PM hope it helps. :coffee:
curie

Post by curie »

I pm'ed your pm. :-)
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

I had no idea that "DET will arrange statewide chemical collections for government schools every three years" - taken out of CSIS, Figure E-5: Recommended waste bottles.

I have been here for over three years and they certainly haven't done anything in that time! Can anyone shed any light? I don't want to waste any money if I don't have to...
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I believe it is coming next year. They started in 1999 did a very large pick up, then after that it was small ones. But through so many labbies asking for a free pick up, we have been lead to believe it will be next year.
Regards Labbie