Problems with AgNO3 solution

If you have technical problems or general questions on how to use the forum, please post here.
ctzavellas
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: PLC Sydney
Suburb: Croydon
State/Location: NSW

Problems with AgNO3 solution

Post by ctzavellas »

Hi all,

I made a solution of 0.05M Silver nitrate solution and as I added the deionized water it went cloudy. I know that it should be clear. I have changed the filters for our reverse osmosis system but still, have the problem. I purchased distilled water to test with the solid AgNO3 and it too went cloudy. Does anyone know what the shelf life is for AgNO3 solid? The Silver nitrate is the main suspect at the moment.

Would love any feedback, as I'm officially going crazy

Carls
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Problems with AgNO3 solution

Post by Labbie »

It needs to be Distilled water ONLY for silver Nitrate. or it will go cloudy. How old is the Silver Nitrate, is it in good condition or hard?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Silver Nitrate has an indefinite shelf life according to a document on chemical shelf life which I have downloaded off the internet. I use this as a generalised guide for my chemical storage. I have some old stock of silver nitrate which I am still using. I am using the demineralised water that you can buy in the supermarkets and so far (touch wood) I haven't had any problems.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I found that mine went cloudy at first and then clear. Strange but it still worked after that. Sadly the class then left the bottle in the sun so it precipitated out BUT I filtered out the precipitate and the resulting solution still worked for our junior pracs. I certainly won't be using it for the seniors!
If you're all wondering why I didn't just throw it out and start again, we had none left (waiting on an order) and it is so expensive!!
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I think I should go into the Silver Nitrate black market.
I have been here 20 years and have NEVER purchased a new bottle of Silver nitrate.
I have 475gms of silver Nitrate still left
At $100 + for 25 gms I am sitting on a fortune!
Even at around $400 for 100gms its worth a lot. :w00t:
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I realized once i had posted that obviously $100 for 25gm is $400 for 100. Stupid me.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

fibreweb wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 14:54 I think I should go into the Silver Nitrate black market.
I have been here 20 years and have NEVER purchased a new bottle of Silver nitrate.
I have 475gms of silver Nitrate still left
At $100 + for 25 gms I am sitting on a fortune!
Even at around $400 for 100gms its worth a lot. :w00t:
That is one of the chemicals I wish I had a huge stock of, not all the ancient stock I have, that hasn't been used for ages!
ctzavellas

Post by ctzavellas »

Hi all,

After purchasing new AgNO3 and then testing it with distilled water, the silver nitrate is no longer the culprit. We then purchased coles demineralized water (deionized water) and we had success.

Solution is clear as crystal.

One happy lab tech.

Thanks for all of your feedback and jokes
ctzavellas

Post by ctzavellas »

Just a follow on from last weeks AgNO3 drama.

Our deionized water is back up and running now in the lab. Just be aware that if you are purchasing distilled water or deionized water in bulk from companies who advertise it as such, be careful as the water may have chlorine ions present in it, therefore, when making silver nitrate solution it goes cloudy.
The particular company that I dealt with (not naming names) was the worst. Worse customer service, they couldn't even be bothered with
me when I explained to them that there was Chlorine present in their water.

As mentioned in a previous post, if you need deionized water urgently the Coles water is the best and produces clear AgNO3 solutions.

Carlie