Pharaoh's Serpent

If you have technical problems or general questions on how to use the forum, please post here.
doconnor
State/Location: NSW

Pharaoh's Serpent

Post by doconnor »

Hi all'
Does anyone know this experiment, the chemicals are not banned, but is the experiment, we have a small quantity of Mercuric Thiocyanate that my colleague has made last year but I am not happy handling this chemical, any advise would be appreciated,
Thank you
Delma
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Pharaoh's Serpent

Post by Labbie »

Its not in the CSIS, so I am sorry I can not help you. Very strange that it is not in the book.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
dime

Post by dime »

Well the chemical is very toxic as are most mercuy compounds. I wouldn't want to handle it either. Does the experiment need to be done for the syllabus? I doubt it. Therefore, suggest that an alternate experiment be done. Or is the teacher one of the mad professor types, that don't listen to reason? It is not in CSIS then a risk assessment should be done by the head teacher or someone in the Dept for a NSW Govt school.
doconnor

Post by doconnor »

thank you for your replies,
this is definately NOT in the syllabus, and yes he is the mad professor type who likes to show off,
Delma
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Tell him to show off how he can use Youtube lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9pioJWTk0

Hide the Mercuric Thiocyanate till the next pick-up.
dime

Post by dime »

Thanks for the Youtube clip. It is definitely impressive, even sounds like a rattler. But much better on the film as I was thinking of the fumes and cleanup.