job vacancies / employment wanted
jamie
Job Title: Lab Assistant-SAO
School: Katoomba High
Suburb: Katoomba
State/Location: NSW

JOB ALLOCATION

Post by jamie »

We have lost more hours in Science.I now do 3 1/2 days in science,1 day doing assets and 1/2 day in library.
Admin always seem to keep their staff as they "can not afford to loose hours".
We still have the same amount of pracs but less time.I would like an idea of how many staff in admin,Tas ,Library and their time.We only have 600 at our school with 5 working Labs.
Some feedback would be great.
Thanks Jamie :-(
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Re: JOB ALLOCATION

Post by Robdean »

I have 6 working labs too in 3 different buildings but also do TAS - adds up to a day (or more) but spread over the week - I do all the science + compile all the food orders, shopping, special orders for school functions and bookwork for TAS. I swear one day I'll take the hearts to TAS and the steak to Science!!!
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

We have approx 650 students, 5 labs, 9 science teachers and just me working full time
8-4 everyday. I dont know how you could manage 3 1/2 days, that would be a nightmare. :yuck:
judygee

Post by judygee »

Jaimie - I take my hat off to you, you deserve a medal. I have 750 students, 5 Labs and 8 Science teachers and just myself to take care of them and I meet myself coming back some days, NO! - make that most days! Isn't there a magic formula for Lab Techs which says something along the lines of 'one full time Lab tech for every 500 students'? Judy
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Jamie, are you a DEC school or private or catholic? For 600 students in a DEC school, you should be full time. Please do a check with the PSA even if you are not a member.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by lurra »

I have 6 Labs 9 Teachers and me and 980 students.
It is always the same the office get more staff but the Science and Tas never do.
I had the hide to ask for help :redcard: this Friday as I will not be in next Monday Tuesday & Wednesday and will not be replaced as my Daughter is having her 2nd baby :wub: a girl by the way and the Sam said no :redcard: as they don't have anyone, but if someone is away in the office they replace them for the day. :redcard:
Now that I have had my say it is back to work
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

They never used to replace me, as no one knew what to do, but recently one of our casual SASS has expressed an interest and she is fabulous! I love being able to go away and leave the place in her hands :clap3: .
Trouble is I think she does too good a job and maybe I am no longer indispensable! :cry2: :cry2: :wink2: :crazy:
J
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

I am very lucky :thumbup: if away I have a replacement who is great. I work 5 days in science :crazy: and help out if needed in the office but only if I can. There is 450 students at our school, 5 labs and 5 science teachers and me.

KIMMY
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

I have around 1100 students, 7 labs & 3 prep rooms & only just had my hours increased from 20 to 26hours a week. I have always been told I would have to find my own replacement if I wanted time off...but admin..well thats another story. they have lots of staff,lots of hours & call in a casual when someone wants time off!!
jamie
Job Title: Lab Assistant-SAO
School: Katoomba High
Suburb: Katoomba

Post by jamie »

Labbie,I work in a DET school.Thanks everyone for your imput.I go on LSL in November and find it hard to get someone.Admin don't like the idea of working in Science.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Jamie, Ok so you are a DEC school not DET, we have had a change of name.
You should be working full time, my guess is that your SAM Senior Admin Manger, is using the extra time up in her front office. Sorry to ask questions again, but are you permanent or casual. If you are permanent, you should ask for a appointment with your SAM, and tell her you need more hours. If we do not tell them, they think we are happy with less hours. You have rights too. Jamie if you feel the SAM will not listen to you, do try the PSA they may help you. Please do PM me and let me know how you get on.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

When speaking to the SAM, do use the words OH&S many many times. And by the way OH&S have changed to WHS Work Health Safety.

eg According to the CSIS & OH&S I can not be rushed in Science.
I need time to prepared solutions, and OH&S I can not make up too many in one day even with a fume cupboard.
Good luck Jamie, throw it at them. My guess they have no idea what CSIS is Chemical Safety in Schools, it is still LAW in NSW, so use to and do let us know.
Regards Labbie

tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

I know of a school here with over 1000 students and 1 full time labbie. Technically they should have 1 1/2 full-timers but it is up to the school if they wish to employ a second one or not. Not sure if that is the same way it works in NSW or not.
Tigger
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes once over 1000 students, the full time labbie, should have help. But some of the SAM's do not know this. I think it is for every 100 over 1000 you can half a day help, but I really am not too sure on that part.
Regards Labbie

fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Oxley High has at the moment 1014 students and is expected to drop below 1000 next year. This will mean the loss of .8 SASS hours.

We have 10 Science teachers and 7 labs, I also do some photocopying for Maths and Ag.

The allocation at present is
myself fulltime in Science.
A fulltime person in FoodTech though this position is filled by 3 different people, one woman who does 2 days, the library lady does one day and a casual the other 2( I think she is filling in for a front office lady who only works 3 days on a return to work program)
One in the Library who does .8 there and .2 in foodtech (not happily)
Administration : Definately 8 full time and most days there is a body at the 9th desk. :w00t:

Guess who is going to loose time in her usual area when the SASS hours are cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will probably have to do time in Foodtech as most of the office ladies are too precious for manual work.

The Head Teacher is going to fight it for me, I will be giving him a copy of the report on the Lab technicians survey that was done in 2009 which showed I was way overworked already.
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

I think there needs to be a formula that takes into account not just the number of students at the school but the number doing science.
We have 1200 students and lots of them do a couple of science subjects in year 11 and 12 so we have 26 senior classes 9 of which are chemistry. You can imagine the prep. involved. The SAM gets to decide how many hours we get. No one ever wants to work in science so it is hard to get anyone to help me.
In the interests of OH&S there needs to be a set number of hours of lab. help per class.
Perhaps we could all start hassling the union to support a change.

Helen
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Ask Smee - is staffing allocation something that our new NSW Science Assistant's Association can lobby for on our behalf? Certainly from a safety point of view it makes sense to have a formula to adhere to, and if the Status of School Laboratory Technicians report backs us up ....
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
judyjolly

Post by judyjolly »

Hi Jamie
I am now a proud card carrying member of a new association for NSW Labbies "ASET-NSW". :thumbup:
See "Announcements" for further info.or google it
Perhaps something can be done about the problems we all face to various degrees. :clap3: :D
After a 2011 Australia-wide survey of schools, unis TAFEs etc and the conference that followed NSW lab technicians seem to be a long way behind in working conditions in comparison to other states. NSW state schools did not participate but private schools did.
Judy
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:-( Umm and NSW State schools didnt participate because the State Gov wouldn't let us, wonder why 8O :redcard: Prahaps they had something to hide :w00t: MariaC
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Wow, I can't believe you guys have to "multi-task" in admin. I work in two catholic schools and am specifically employed as a TA in science. I'm the lab tech and thats all I do. Once school has 4 labs, approx 400 students in in secondary side (350 in the primary) and we have 1 FTE lab tech and thats all we do! My other school has about 400 students 1 lab (and a junior "discovery cente" :rolleyes: ) and has me for 16.5 a week.