and any other non-chem subjects.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Digital Oscilloscope

Post by Merilyn1 »

We need to buy a CRO and it seems that the only type commonly available are the very slim line digital versions. Just wondering if anyone has purchased one and what they think of them. ie how do they compare to the old clunky looking machine -easier/harder to use, reliable etc etc.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Digital Oscilloscope

Post by bigmack »

I used a CRO as a TV technician for 30 years on a daily basis . To me the old CRT CRO's are much easier to drive and look at . I find the newer type are over complicated with way too many unnecessary features . The "soft" buttons and knobs just don't feel right.

What is probably useful on a new CRO is the auto feature that most have that selects the best amplitude and time base to display the incoming signal . Although this is something I have no problems with on CRT CRO's , it probably would help teachers that rarely use a CRO to show the class what they want rather than their incompetence at operating a CRO .

Having said that , the school I was at last year bought a new CRO . After a few minutes of cussing under their Breathe , the Physics teacher asked for the old CRO .

Incidentally the old CRT CRO I bought 35 years ago is still going , as are the two the school has here of the same vintage . I don't have as much faith in modern electronic equipment .
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Richard where are you in the state? Would you like to look at mine, you could have a thriving side business here. :thumbup:
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

CC wrote:Richard where are you in the state? Would you like to look at mine, you could have a thriving side business here. :thumbup:
Mid North Coast Cindy. LOL , the servicing industry isn't what it used to be :-({|= ....hence the need to do this job :crazy: . Thanks for the offer but you might be better to take it to one of the few that still specialize in CRO repairs . I might see if I can find who still does it .
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Thank you but I have done a search in this area.
We have bought a new cro because the only teacher that could get our old one to work has gone (he used a lot of paper clips) those of us left behind just could not fathom his method even after being shown for the last ten years! :D
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

What type is your new one? Was it the digital type?
Kathryn
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Our old CRO gave up awhile ago so we bought a new digital one - Digitech. Had it for a couple of years now and have been quite happy with it. No doubt it won't last as long as the old one.
Kathryn :)
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Thanks Kathryn. Don't think anything is made like it used to. Pleased to hear that you have found the digital one okay. Looks like these days there is no option anyway but still good to get feedback before spending the money.