Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah
State/Location: NSW

Re: Phenolphthalein Agar

Post by estelle »

Great excuse to ask for chocolates!
And lots of them.
I have a perspex ferrero rocher chocolate container that is about 21 cm square, the base is 2cm deep and the top 1cm. Makes an excellent setting dish for the agar. I have figures out the amounts to make so it works out perfectly. Then I just run a knife around the edge and drop it over a laminated sheet of graph paper.It might have been a special edition but worth keeping an eye out for in the shops.

I find the other ferrero perspex containers that have, I think they come with 16 chocolates are just the right size to store 8 dropper bottles in and for sending them out to class, the top isn't so good because the bottles tend to fall over but the base is just right.
So now you have a legitimate reason to ask for chocolates :-)
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Hi Tina, just noticed your post. Yeah, what Ian said. I run a metal-blade spatula down the sides and tap it out onto a flat surface; can only guarantee if using my recipe, though.

:thumbup:
Xe, SD, KOPR
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Hey! The dropper dropper bottles work fine, but I'm going with Estelle! What a great excuse for chocolates!!!! Wee Hee! \:D/

Ian :clap3:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes I agree go the chocolates> Well done \:D/ \:D/
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Hey all, is there any use for phenolphthalein agar after it's discoloured....? The Y11 biol class didn't use it all & I have a bit left.... Any thoughts... besides smearing over my arch nemesis teachers (see the Teacher Declaration thread for clarity!) car!!! :cheesy:

Kel

PS I wouldn't really.... promise!!!!! :rolleyes:
Ian

Post by Ian »

vlclabbie wrote:Hey all, is there any use for phenolphthalein agar after it's discoloured....? The Y11 biol class didn't use it all & I have a bit left.... Any thoughts... besides smearing over my arch nemesis teachers (see the Teacher Declaration thread for clarity!) car!!! :cheesy:

Kel

PS I wouldn't really.... promise!!!!! :rolleyes:

Well, You could feed it to your "Arch nemesis teacher" with a scoop of ice cream and a dollop of cream....
Now, wouldn't that give him the s**ts!

Then.... maybe not!

Ian :cheesy:
lada

Post by lada »

Ha, ha

We just finished the same prac and thanks to Ian I made up perfect little cubes. Using double agar made them nice and firm. Teacher and students suitably impressed. I love this site. :crazy:
Lada :coffee:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

ooooooh love the jelly approach Ian! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Spose I shall just turf them out.... seems a waste!

Thanks,
Kel
estelle

Post by estelle »

Does anyone know if the phenolphthalein agar will still work if you have to reheat it?
I made a tray of it yesterday to be ready for a prac period 4 and the cleaner left me a note to say she came in, in the dark and threw her bunch of keys on the bench not knowing I had some dishes setting. Said she is sorry if she ruined it. @@##$
Couldn't really send it out to biology class with a 25cm freakin crater in it.
sS I reheated it but it has gone a rather dark browny pink colour.So not sure if it will still react.???
I am thinking I should probably waste some more time and make another lot up.
Estelle
dime

Post by dime »

I think it will probably still react. For years I made it and it would turn dark brown on cooling. But it still worked when put in the acid. It just wasn't as pretty. :oops:
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi Estelle
After my previous failures trying something similar I would try a new batch. but then you cont have much time for a new batch either. But then again, you might have more luck than me. Actually, you are probably doing that prac right now. Did it work?
cheers
Tina
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
I just made some yesterday in Ice cream containers they very well thatns for the tip
Have a grat break and I hope the Easter Bunny comes to ALL :thumbup:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi all,
Yes it still worked after reheating the mix.
I ended up having enough for probably 5 classes. The bio teacher forgot to tell me he only needed enough for 4 groups and then he ended up having bio students away on an excursion and having to "babysit" year 10 in the same class so didn't even get to use 4 lots.
He wants to run it again next term. I am contemplating wrapping the left over up in glad wrap, putting it in the fridge and testing it next term with H2SO4, if it still works he gets it again!!
Estelle
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Estelle,

I had mine for at least 3 weeks in the fridge after we had used it and the colour was stll fantastic and the gel was even better than when it was fresh so I think it would be fine to keep in the fridge over the holidays. Its only 2 weeks afterall.

Lorrae
merilyn

phenolphthalein agar

Post by merilyn »

Hi all

I'm a real newbie at this - only been a labbie for a couple of months, so would appreciate some help.

I was asked to prepare some phenolphthalein agar. I used the "recipe" from "The Laboratory" by B. Dungey, which said to use 18g agar, 4g sodium hydroxide and 1 litre of distilled water, and to add the phenolp. until the agar turned a deep pink. Not being sure what "deep pink" is, I added the phenolp. until it didn't seem to be making any difference to the colour. It was pink, but probably not what it should have been. After leaving it to set, the colour appeared much paler than before. The instructions said to leave it a few days as the colour would develop better. but time restraints did not allow for this - it was made less than 24 hours before using. The result was that the students found it difficult to notice any colour change when added to acid.

One of the teachers suggested that the phenolphthalein may have been old, or diluted. Any other suggestions?

Where is it best to store it? Should it be in the fridge?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Welcome to chemtalk, I have merged the post's for you. So you can read all the great information on Phenolphthalein. Do hope it helps. :clap3: :clap3:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Merilyn and welcome to labbie land :) I have used that recipe before and found that more phenolphthalein is needed than it indicates. You just keep adding it until it is quite dark. Don't do it drop by drop, either. It will take you forever! I usually do about 50ml (dropper bottle full) and probably a second one squirt by squirt.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Aw bugger it! throw the second 50ml bottle in as well!!!!! :w00t:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Merilyn and welcome.

I hope you find this site as invaluable as the rest of us do. Not only for useful information but for venting and laughing and sanity.

Anyway I have an extra strong bottle of phenolphthalein that I use to colour the gel and I also leave it overnight with a layer of phenolphthalein over the top this soakes in and helps maintain the colour.

Lorrae
Ian

Post by Ian »

Welcome to ChemTalk Merilyn!
I read your post yesterday morning, and got a PM from you yesterday afternoon but did not quite twig that they were both from the same "Merilyn" I guess that makes my high recommendations to you about ChemTalk a bit redundant as you are already here!. Welcome aboard! I will have to tell you some of MY Agar stories at some time. (I could write a book, I'm sure!)

Cheers
Ian :)