Science ASSIST

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Debbie
State/Location: QLD

Science ASSIST

Post by Debbie »

Hi everyone

Science ASSIST needs our assistance to disseminate the following information. The hope is that the more people who visit their website, the more statistics will show that the program funding is warranted.

Science ASSIST is a FREE national, online advisory service established to encourage and support laboratory-based science in Australian schools and provides information, resources and consistent, well-researched, authoritative technical advice on school science laboratory safety and procedures in line with relevant state and territory requirements.

The Science ASSIST team:
• can answer all your questions regarding school laboratory and science room safety. 480 questions answered so far.
• has developed a large range of minor technical resources including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Risk Assessments and Information sheets.
• has developed major technical resources on chemical management,microbiology and secondary science facilities.

There's also great resources for primary school science on Science ASSIST so can you also let your primary school contacts know.

Please pass this email on to your teachers and networks and encourage them to visit Science Assist through https://assist.asta.edu.au/

Thanks and have a great day

Debbie
shellythenewlabby
School: Woonona High School
State/Location: NSW

Re: Science ASSIST

Post by shellythenewlabby »

Thanks Debbie
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Science ASSIST

Post by Lyn »

I have downloaded the Chemical Management Handbook and placed it into the school Risk Management folder online. It forms part of the background information that is relevant to the Science Chemical Register. I have also downloaded the SOP's and placed them in an SOP folder on my desk. So anyone who is assessing various things for WHS can see at a glance that I have the information available. The SOP's are a wonderful resource and you don't have to rack your brain to make up your own. If you have anything that you need an SOP for then ask and they will produce one for you which we can all then share. The Science Assist site is a very informative site with professional answers. The only minor drawback is that when you are browsing the website it takes a while to process your request. Do they call that a slow search engine? :-( In a world of instant gratification you just have to wait a little while longer for your answers.